Did I make a mistake? Silver Bear 45acp ammo

spacemanspiff

I was scrambling last week to buy some ammo in anticipation of doing some shooting over the weekend. Went to 4 shops, one was closed, two had no range ammo, and the last stop had Silver Bear in stock.
We didnt shoot as much as I thought we would over the weekend, didnt even open up any of the boxes of ammo I bought last week. Then my buddy tells me the stuff is corrossive.

So I do some searches on the reliable internet, and everything seems to say the stuff is NOT corrosive. And most of the reports of it being crappy ammo date back several years.

Should I be worried about running it thru my Colt 1911?

wnycollector

Silver Bear 45 is ok for plinking ammo. I have used it in my SIG P250, P220 and my convertible 45 Ruger Blackhawk. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger, but accuracy was not good due to a large number flyers ruining groups.

Personally I prefer WPA if I am going to shoot inexpensive Russian steel case ammo. It seems to be loaded a little hotter and it is much more consistent.

Shadi Khalil

Another case of a buddy and bad info. It's not the cleanest ammo to shoot but certainly not corrosive. My semi autos have shot hundreds of Wolf and silver bear with no problems at all.

chris in va

Even if it were ( and its not) all you'd have to do is spray some Windex down the barrel and run a paper towel through.

They haven't used mercuric salts in 50-60 years.