Did I just screw up? 340PD HV

PT111

You know how you always get this second guess feeling after you make a decision about purchases. I just bought a S&W 340PD Hi-Viz. I had been looking for a lightweight revolver but when I felt this one and pulled the trigger it blew me away. It is used but I cannot tell it has been fired from the looks of it. I would grade it at 98% or higher and for $600 OTD with all papers etc. I couldn't stand it.

I don't plan to shoot .357 through it very much :) but did I get ripped off? A 442 I looked at was $439 plus tax so this one wasn't much higher. The big question is will my wife be able to handle a 12oz .357?

I will try to post pictures but it looks just like this.

Attachments

• 163062_large.jpg
    163062_large.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 141

Socrates

My 360PD was around 7-800, and that was on S&@ day, when the factory reps come in once a year.

I think you just bought the finest real pocket gun avaliable. It gets thrown in my pocket in the summer, and, carried when I can't carry anything else. Very comforting to have around.

You do need a gunsmith to disable the lock. Also, once the grips are off, I couldn't get mine back on.

I'm going to post my range report. Keep in mind, recoil over 25 fps is not a good thing, nor is over 20 ft lbs of energy.Saturday, February 16, 2008
Range notes on .357 ammo extended grip

Federal Personal defense 357 158 grain hp 1240 fps
Heavy recoil, last shot came out of time
Not enough rounds to really test
Two cylinders
Recoils hard, have numb trigger finger, but, not cut

Hornady158 grain JHP XTP 1250 fps

Grouped really high takes death grip to shoot near accurate

American Eagle 130 grain FMJ
950 fps
really mild, but a bit low

Haven’t shot a decent group yet.

Federal Premium Low recoil .357 130 grain HPs1300 fps?
Low recoil compared to what?
Hurt my hand.

Fioochi 357 Magnum 148 grain 1300 fps

Either my hand is really getting used to getting hammered, or, I like this one. Hits but it’s not sharp.

Fusion 357 mag 158 grain hps at 1240 fps
Very heavy recoiling. Hurt hand.

Heavy 38 special Plus P 158 item 20A 1040 fps
Still pretty heavy recoil.

Seems the fiocchi recoils a bit less then the buffalobore 38, or at least sort of slower.

Technosavant

The 340PD is significantly more expensive than the 442/642. The 442/642 has an aluminum frame with a stainless steel cylinder (the 442 has a black finish, but that's the only difference). The 340PD has an aluminum/scandium alloy frame (much pricier) and a titanium cylinder (ditto), and that's before talking about that front sight (not too expensive other than the time it takes somebody to install it, but it still costs a bit more than the normal ramp).

$600 for a lightly used one sounds like it is in the ballpark. .357 out of one will be a "this will hurt me more than it hurts you" proposition, but you can also use .38 specials out of the thing to make it less painful to shoot (it still won't be easy or fun to shoot, it will just be less harmful to your hand).

SAWBONES

I have one exactly like it, and another one with the orange plastic insert in the ramp sight, both of which I bought new for something over $700 each a few years ago.
$600 is a good price if there's nothing wrong with the gun.

ckd

I don't think you paid too much, but to reassure yourself, checking the web market (gunsamerica, gunbroker, etc...), before a purchase is always worth your time.

I'm not a safe queen collector, I shoot everything we have. I happen to love alloy 357s for SD, despite their recoil, a cylinder or two is about the limit of fun. Understand that any alloy snubbie isn't a fun range time gun, have a steel model for that, and you'll be happy. If you'll never shoot 357, it isn't money well spent, but you find they're plenty of people that do, so selling should never be a problem with a nice S&W snubbie in 357.

redrick

You did good, I paid over $700 for my 340 M&P new and I think they get more for the PD HIVIZ. I shoot mine yesterday, the only thing that hurts me is my trigger finger, but I was only shooting 158 gr. 38's and I did finish with 10 rounds of 135 gr. 38 +p's. That ammo wasn't bad in it. Just remember
to test your carry ammo for bullet pull before you trust it in a light weight revolver.

B.N.Real

Just remember it is light so you can carry it everywhere all day without feeling like you have a cinderblock you carrying.

And that it's a revolver that's there really to save your and anyone you care abouts life.

You may never need it but because it is light you can carry it with you without thinking it's a job.

Great purchase.

You gonna stuff it 125 grn 357's hollow points?

skeeter1

I Had!!...

...And I emphasize the past tense, S&W model 66 k-frame with a 2.5" barrel in .357Mag. I think it weighed 32oz. It was too much for me, so I sold it. The 19oz Model 60 in .38Spl is just fine by me. Firing a .357 out of an Airweight j-frame? No thank you! That has to be brutal! Load it with .38Spl+Ps, and I think you'll be a lot happier. ;)

adk

I think you got a fair deal on a great gun. I've had a 340PD since 2002, and I pocket-carry it every day. I always have it with me, from the time I get up till bedtime.

--------