Did I get "taken" on my 22 sparrow.

shokkazulu

I just got my first can yesterday. Being new to the suppresser game and wanting instant gratification (if 6 months can be called that) I didn't realize the their was an old model 22 sparrow and a new one. So I ended up getting the aluminum core and not the stainless steel. Now I'm not sure if the guy that sold knew and just wanted to dump it on me or didnt know. He said he only has his dealers licenses to have his own toys. My question is did I screw myself for not my research.

Willie Lowman

That is up to you to decide.

You can't clean aluminum with "the dip" but it won't weigh as much on the muzzle of your gun. Everything is a trade off.

weblance

The Aluminum core Sparrow isnt rated for 5.7x28, but the stainless core Sparrow IS. This may, or may not be important to you.

shokkazulu

Why is it a big deal? Can a person not sell an item to them self? I can be a dealer and get direct from a company and then sell it to yourself? And isn't they why most small outfits do business?

Theohazard

It's fine for a dealer to buy stuff for themselves. But some people set up FFLs just to make it easier to own firearms and NFA items; they have no intention of actually making a profit, they just move enough guns around to be technically legal with the BATFE.

Johnwilliamson062 is right, the BATFE really frowns upon this...

shokkazulu

Oh I see, no this guy from what I gather does a pretty good bit in his area. I took my can out today, loved it. Now I need a bolt action, 10/22 wouldn't cycle the CCI, knew it wouldn't, but im glad I got it.

dogtown tom

shokkazulu Why is it a big deal? Can a person not sell an item to them self? I can be a dealer and get direct from a company and then sell it to yourself? And isn't they why most small outfits do business?
It's a big deal when you lie on your application for a Federal Firearms License. Question 19 reads:
19. Do You Intend to Use Your License Only to Acquire Personal Firearms? (If yes, do not submit application.)

Further, once ATF sees that he used his SOT to evade paying taxes on suppressors/SBR's/etc.............tax evasion.

A licensee must actually be engaged in the business of dealing in firearms. If a compliance inspection finds that the majority of a dealers transactions were to himself, he will likely be revoked or asked to voluntarily turn in his FFL.

Using his SOT to avoid the ATF tax stamps is more serious.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
This seems to be the important item: "... this guy from what I gather does a pretty good bit in his area."

No point in a bunch of useless speculation.