Did I Break My Glock?

ckurts

Bought a used Glock 23 a few months back. The first thing I noticed when I shot it was that I did not care for the NY1 trigger (8 lb pull supposedly; it felt like the DA pull on an RG .38 I shot one time years ago, which was probably 14 lbs). Sent off to Glockmeister for a stock trigger spring (supposedly 5 lb pull) and replaced it myself; if you've seen Glockmeister's website you know he's got great illustrated instructions, and I was pleased that the Glock seemed so simple to work on. I did not replace the connector, and the spring position on my assembly seemed to match the diagram perfectly.

The pistol functioned with 120 rounds perfectly the next week, I was able to shoot much better with it, and my wife loved it when I took her to shoot it the week after that. The whole feel of the trigger was different, it was much smoother besides being lighter. This was early last summer, and I cleaned and put the pistol away, haven't fired it since.

I took it to the range last week, and fired it with the same good results as before, but noticed something strange when I dry fired it; the trigger doesn't come forward at all after you press it, sort of like a regular single action auto. You can cycle the slide or even press the trigger so it goes forward and that's it. I thought Glocks were more like a DA auto, and that the little trigger piece actually cocked the trigger for the next shot. I took the gun apart, everything seemed kosher and there didn't seem to be anything broken or any abnormal wear.

Am I nuts, is it supposed to be like this; or did I break my gun?

abrahamsmith

This is normal.

The trigger does NOT go forward when dry-firing..

If your glock is broken, it's something besides what you describe.

Enjoy.

(by the way.. the REAL question is why you haven't shot for most of a year!!)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Nope, everything's normal...

Glocks need to have the slide hand-cycled (at least a small amount) for dry-fire practice. The slide movement cocks the striker halfway, while the trigger pull completes the cocking stroke of the striker, then releases it.

ckurts

Thanks a bunch, folks. I really like the gun, and owning one I have begun to understand why Glock owners are a little strange when it comes to their favorite firearm.

I also need for my wife to use it when she gets ready to take her Texas CHL qualification test. You cannot carry a semiauto unless you qualify with one, which then allows you the option of revolver or pistol. The Mrs. an excellent shot, actually much better than I'll ever hope to be with rifle or handgun, is wonderfully safe around firearms, but is totally right brained and sorta baffled by anything that resembles machinery. She gets a little flummoxed by various safeties and decockers, and kind of has trouble remembering the order in a tap-rack-bang drill.

So- although she'll probably carry a J-frame .38 spl or .32 mag, the Glock is the best out of all the handguns I have for her to take the test- simple operating system, reliable, accurate, light but powerful.

abrahamsmith, I hadn't shot it because I've been having too much fun with my Makarov and CZ-52, all the while trying to maintain a little bit of a skill level with my S&W snubbies and my 629. Then there's hunting rifles to sight in. I've got a neat little Taurus .22 pump I haven't even shot yet. There's handguns I haven't fired in over a year (Ruger P89). Then, I was in the U.K. for a month last year :( . So many guns, so little time!