Dick's Database?

.22 is still absent from the shelves of Wal-Marts around here (unless you're a good friend of the Sporting Goods department manager, of course). Over the weekend I happened to be in the vicinity of a Dick's Sporting Goods, so I stopped in. To my surprise, they had a variety of .22 LR in stock. I bought a bulk box just to have for a plinking session.

I was more than a bit upset when I checked out, though, because the clerk didn't just check my carry permit to be sure I'm over 18 -- she entered all my personal information into their computer. I don't regularly buy at Dick's, but I have bought there before and I don't remember this. Wal-Mart only does a visual for age if it's handgun ammo.

What's the deal with Dick's? I think I may have just made my last ammo purchase from them.

carguychris

Let me play the devil's advocate

Aguila Blanca said:
I was more than a bit upset when I checked out, though, because the clerk didn't just check my carry permit to be sure I'm over 18 -- she entered all my personal information into their computer. I don't regularly buy at Dick's, but I have bought there before and I don't remember this.
Pardon the possibly dumb question – but did you try simply asking her to stop?

Perhaps it was to put you on the mailing list for their sales flyers. I've had a non-sporting-goods store try this stunt under the guise of checking my credit card information. (They should still ask. :mad:)

Last edited:

mj246

Perhaps it was to put you on the mailing list for their sales flyers.
-carguychris

This was my first thought. Many companies are getting very invasive with their add campaigns. So there is a good chance they do not have any database of ammo buyers.

However, This in no way pardons them for the action. The clerk should ask for permission if it was for mailers/emails. Or tell you if they do have an ammo buyers database so you can refuse to be put on it and not make the purchase.

lamarw

I am one of the few people left who pays with cash except for gasoline or on-line purchases. It is a pet peeve of mine. I realize everything we buy is overpriced by 3 to 5% to cover bank charges on credit cards and with no value added. Only the banks are making money on credit cards and tons of it.

Anyway, that is not the point. The point is I used to have Radio Shacks always ask for my phone number when I made a cash purchase. I always refused and responded with why do you need my phone number. I will respond with a zip code for various stores survey purposes.

FITASC

When any store asks for my phone or zip I simply say "No" or, "it's protected" (it isn't), but it shuts them up immediately.

What the OP is likely referring to is that Dicks asks for your birthdate whenever you buy ammo...they don't ask for phone number and you can pay in cash, but I guess they think they're protecting themselves from lawsuit.

BerettaProfessor said:
What the OP is likely referring to is that Dicks asks for your birthdate whenever you buy ammo...they don't ask for phone number and you can pay in cash, but I guess they think they're protecting themselves from lawsuit.
No, that's not what I'm referring to. That's what Wal-Mart and local gun shops do: "ask" (and maybe check a driver's license for confirmation). This clerk took my carry permit and typed what appeared to be ALL my information into her computer terminal.

And it was a cash purchase.

Old Bill Dibble

Same thing happened to me last time I was at Dick's several years ago. That was my last visit. I asked the clerk what he was doing and he said it was "necessary". TBH, the clerk was a real jerk anyway.

Two years later the store closed. I wasn't surprised.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I don't give them any more than my zip code. Around here, the most common question (at all stores) is "Is this for a long gun or hand gun?" I don't know why they ask, since they don't check anything anyway and it's not illegal to buy ammo for someone else's handgun even if you don't have your own.

Otherwise, I wouldn't tell them or allow them to enter any information but you can't be mad at them for trying. They're a business. They *live and die* on being able to contact consumers. They want your information. Just tell them "No."

carguychris

Around here, the most common question (at all stores) is "Is this for a long gun or hand gun?" I don't know why they ask...
They ask because it's illegal under 18 U.S. Code § 922(b)(2) for a FFL to sell "ammunition for a [firearm other than a] shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age".

Since almost every cartridge in existence can be fired out of some type of handgun, large corporate discount stores often conservatively adopt a policy of asking the question with every transaction, even though the law contains no formal requirement to actually check the buyer's ID.

If you're obviously 21 or over, keep in mind that low-paid clerks at big-box discount stores are often following on-screen prompts under threat of being fired if they don't do it Every Single Time. :rolleyes:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Hm. No kidding. That probably falls under the "I should have known that a loong time ago" category. Instead it was under the "I don't know but don't care enough to find out.":p

WallMart asks if the ammo is for a handgun, I answer truthfully. I have a License To Carry (LTC), which means I can legally own handguns in MA.
A FID or LTC is needed to purchase ammunition and ammunition components in MA, so the clerk knows I can legally purchase the ammunition.
Dicks Sporting Goods on the other hand types something into the register computer while looking at my LTC, never asked why. I only buy ammo there as a last resort.
LGSs don't ask any questions and don't attempt to enter any info into their computers.

Mike38

My local Ace Hardware stocks target .22LR ammo. RWS, Eley, and Aguila. It's cheaper for me to buy there than paying shipping ordering off the internet. They ask for a Illinois FOID, which is fine. But, they type your info into the cash register before ringing it up. Not sure I like that.