Detroit Police S&W Model 64's

Jason Demond

There was a post over on the S&W forum about these guns, so I added to it, but couldn't find much on TFL. That being said, I will start one.

Who here has one and would like to share?

I bought a 4" model 64 yesterday. The gun looked lnib except for the grips which were kind of beat up a little. The serial number is in the BDB3XXX range, and I was told by S&W that it was made on 4-14-1989, so that's a pre-agreement. On the back strap it says "Detroit Police 26058." My Dad has one just like it, except it says NYPD on it. I wish I could post a picture but my camera is busted.

Jason Demond

I know it's not a rare gun or anything. I only bought it because I live in MI, and I though it was funny because of all the Detroit police gun buy back's that they are always doing. Kind of like sticking my thumb in their eye. :D

OH, ok, I get you.

I THINK the Detroit PD went to semi-autos in 1992 or 1993, so this gun would not have been used all that long.

As part of the deal, the force probably traded the guns to the wholesaler who was selling them their new gun of choice, and the wholesaler then sent them around the country to gunshops.

Yours just happened to stay in Michigan.

Old Fuff

You live in Hastings I see. I'm from Arizona but visiting at Gun Lake. Your revolver is probably a nice one because S&W usually took some extra pains with law enforcement orders - especially from big departments. I'm glad it found a good home.

IamNOTaNUT

Jason -

I'm down near Coldwater and would be interested in picking one of those up myself. Where did you get it? Can you give me a ballpark on the number of clams you had to fork over? Thanks!

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's Jason (and other's)-

I remember reading a post recently, whereas the poster
had just acquired a Smith & Wesson model 64 with a 2"
barrel that had the Detroit police marking's on it. The
owner stated that it looked as if were carried a lot; but
shot very little!:) Can't remember whether it was here,
or over at the Shootersville forum? But, at any rate the
owner was well pleased with his purchase.

FYI- According to the book, your S&W model 64 was
mostly likely made in January of 1989.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Frenchy

They are great little collectable revolvers.

200211205509365805519885.jpg

Kevinch

Always nice to have a little history with your collection!

A good friend of mine is a PA State Trooper. Back in the late 70's, they were retiring their Colt revolvers & he bought his. I keep trying to talk him out of it but he won't listen!

Nice purchase - congratulations!

Jason Demond

Thanks for the replys guys!

Old Fuff: I think you will like Gun Lake, it's just to bad it's not warmer out.

IamNOTaNUT: They only had the one, I bought it from Bob's Gun & Tackle for 239.00.

Ala Dan: I guess that there were a lot of the guns that the Detroit Police owned, but never issued.

Frenchy: That gun looks great with the white grips on it, makes me drool just looking at it.

Kevinch: Never give up on it, you may wear him down yet. :D