Destroyed Firearms

Uncle Buck

When I was a kid, the gun shop I hung out in had destroyed firearms (Pistols, rifles and shotguns) hanging on the walls. If I remember correctly, Reggie kept them on the wall to show what would happen if you did not pay attention to what you were doing.

I remember most of them had bulging barrels, but some had pieces of metal missing from the barrels (Good Lord only knows where they ended up!) , straps on revolvers folded back towards the shooter, etc... I always admired those guns.

I would like to start a wall like that, sort of as a reminder that you always need to be safe. But I am not sure if buying a gun which has been destroyed in an accident still requires a FFL transfer. (I would think that if the receiver is not damaged, then you would have to have the FFL transfer when buying it from anyone other than a private, hand to hand, transfer.)

I have printed off some pictures from the TFL of firearms which have been destroyed, but I would like to actually get some of the real things to hang on the wall.

Pahoo

Check with your local gunsmith. My understanding is that the gun can be classified as inoperable and indeed it is either in that state of put as such. I too have seen these wrecks and we have a couple on hand to show students what can happen. Most of these came from our local gunsmith that had to try and fix or declared as inoperable. One shotgun barrel is showing damage from a slug and yes, no one got seriously hurt. Another is a barrel that blew up and peeled back like a banana at the muzzle. Not sure if a stuck wad or snow plug caused it. Again, talk to your local gun smith as he has seen a few of these himself.

Be Safe !!!