Desk drawer Webley Mark II

Colokeb

After reading the 455 Mark II thread I thought I'd show this 1894, serial number is just over 110.

Was nicely inscribed from a sister to her brother. Nickle, and if you see a mark on it, it is a cartouche.

HPIM1363.JPG

Jeff #111

Beautiful. Is there any Army-Navy Cooperative Society (A&N) markings on it? It's my understanding that they provided a large number of nickel plated revolvers to officers and civil servant heading overseas to the more tropical colonies such as India and Singapore. Typically they can be found on the barrels, but that's not a hard and fast rule.

Deaf Smith

I presume it's in the USA as the British destroyed every privately owned gun like that years ago.

It may be over 100 years old but it would do as good a job of defending it's owner as almost any gun today.

Deaf

Webleymkv

It may be over 100 years old but it would do as good a job of defending it's owner as almost any gun today.

While you are certainly correct, it should be noted that the Mk. V was the first Webley truly suitable for smokeless powder (the Mk. IV .455 was used with smokeless, but it was marginal in strength). Because only the Mk. II (smokeless) variant of the .455 Webley cartridge is still produced, the revolver pictured should only be fired with handloads using blackpowder or a suitable substitute.

Colokeb

This was given by an English sister to her brother, apparently in Chicago. It made its way to Fairplay, Colorado, then Aspen. It is a 38 S&W.

I habe been told by an expert that almost no Mark II revolvers exist in this bird's head configuration.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I was just going to post that that looked an awful lot like the civilian Mk II in .380, not the .455 caliber military Mk II, which is an entirely different gun.

Yes, I think most of the Mk II's had the squared off butt, but as someone once said, "Webley made a mistake once and produced two guns alike."

An exaggeration to be sure, but it is hard to get a handle on all the variations of their basic models, not to mention the confusing duplication of "Mark" numbers for both military and civilian guns.

Jim

James K

Member In Memoriam
That grip is more typical of the small .380's than the "birds head" grip of the one shown by Colokeb, which is much earlier.

Jim