Designed bullet/cartridge.

mikld

I'm working on a project, mostly for my own information and I'd like to find a source of information on what bullet weight specific cartridges were designed with. I know the original 45 ACP was a 200 gr RN, and this is what I'd like to find out about with other cartridges; 308 Win., .44 Mag, etc. I have a new copy of Cartridges of the World, but this information isn't in with the information supplied for each cartridge. I've done several google searches with different "titles" and wikipedia has nothing like what I need...

Thanks for any help.

Nvreloader

Mikld

I may be wrong, but IIRR,

The 45 ACP round was designed around the 230gr RN ball,
The 308 Military was designed from the T-65 round for a 150gr FMJ,
The Rem 44 Mag was designed around the 240gr bullet.

Tia,
Don

FrankenMauser

.444 Marlin was designed for maximum case length while staying within Marlin 336 receiver limitations, primarily using the Remington 240 gr soft point (.44 Mag, later tweaked a bit for rifle velocities).

.270 Win was designed with a 130 gr bullet in mind.

.375 H&H wasn't designed around any bullet; rather, it was an adaptation of an existing cartridge. But the goal through development focused on launching a 300 gr bullet.

.458 SOCOM was designed to work with nearly any .458" diameter bullet from 250 to 500 grains. Flexibility and utility were part of the design process.

...Just a few off the top of my head.

mikld

Thanks fellers. Browning's original design was for a 200 gr rN bullet, but the Army wanted something larger so he developed a 230 gr. RN.

Anyway not looking for a specific cartridge, just a source of info for all cartridges...:)

FrankenMauser

There really isn't any single source.

One must approach it a cartridge at a time, and dig through history -- fact, fiction, and fantasy.