Desert Eagle Q

branrot

What is the difference between the Desert Eagle Mark VII, Mark XIX, etc.?

Yes, I know they are roman numerals, and I even know what numbers they are. My question is whether they refer to caliber, finish, barrel length, or whether one is just a newer version of the other.

JG

The Mark VII came first and was made in Israel. The barrels (calibers) are not interchangable- although I think the 50AE Mark VII can accept interchangeable barrels (don't quote me on that).

The Mark XIX is the current model and it doesn't matter which caliber you buy, the barrels are interchangable- they were made in the US for awhile and came with Hogue grips. The latest ones are now made in Israel again, and come in a Plastic case (vs the older cardboard box)- but now come with low rent plastic grips.

Hope this helps.

sedwards

Earlier DEs had rather slim slide release and
safety levers... I can just barely thumb the safety off (up), and have to use my other hand to flip it back down -- and thumbing the slide release is nearly impossible with any spring tension from the magazine (this on a .44, maybe the .357s aren't quite as bad?).

Later variants have significantly larger levers (much more ergonomic) and adjustable triggers, and I understand they drop into the older models.

Back when I got mine (1990?) you could get any calibre in any finish with an 8", 11", or 14" bbl... I dunno what's available now.

hksigwalther

Actually, The MK I came out first. First caliber was .357mag. Flat safety levers, non-adjustable trigger assembly, smaller slide stop. Then came the .41mag and .44mag. Slide assemblies for .41 and .44 were identical (i.e., interchangable). Early on, I think there were seperate slides for the .41 and .44, the only difference was the engraved markings on the side indicating caliber. Later on, they were consolidated to the '.41/.44' marking.

Next came the MK VII. Extended safety and slide stop, adjustable trigger. An adjustable trigger assembly was introduced for MK I models. Early MK VIIs had the choice of 6", 8", 10", and 14" bbls (Gotta 14" on mine.), adjustable sights introduced (needed to be installed by buyer), Hogue and wood grips available, nylon holsters available. .50AE introduced late in MK VII life. Slightly different frame for .50 than other MK VIIs. I think all MK VIIs (as are MK Is) are Isreali made, some early MK XIXs are also.

MK XIXs are essentially .50AE MK VIIs. Interchangable slide/barrel assemblies for other calibers made for MK XIXs will fit MK XIXs and .50AE MK VIIs. Will NOT fit other MK VIIs and MK Is. All slides for all calibers are identical. .440 Cor-Bon introduced, I think it's a .50AE necked down to .44. A set containing .357mag, .44mag, .50AE can be had between $2400 - $3700 from the factory.

Goto : http://www.magnumresearch.com/

------------------
- Ron V.