Desert Eagle parts value?

lemmonhead

As part of a deal, trade for services, I received a box of Magnum Reseaech Desert Eagle parts. I know nothing about Desert Eagles and don't really have much interest in them so I am going sell the parts in order to recoup some of my money. I am looking for input on approximate value. I have looked at gunbroker but can't find any of the parts for sale or that have sold.

I have:
1. Stainless frame that looks complete with trigger, mag release, hammer assembly and slide release
2. Phosphate slide that is stripped except for the grip.
3. One stripped phosphate slide
4. One complete phosphate slide with sights, bolt, safety
5. One 10" .44 mag barrel
6. On 6" .44 mag barrel
7. Several stripped .44 mag bolts

All the parts are used. Any input on value would be appreciated.

image_zps9gbss5mz.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_zpsm2wa09tv.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

JT-AR-MG42

Lemon,
Owner of all barrel length/caliber combinations (except the 6" .440) here, but certainly do not consider myself an expert.
As you have found, most DEs are sold complete.

From your photos -first picture.
The stainless frame has an appeal for the two-tone look.
I'd value it in the 350+ area.

Both slides are MK IX slides (notice the much higher slide grasping serrations from the slide in the second photo)
and will not accept the MK I/VII 6" barrel shown.
Slide values are a tougher guess for me - 150 -200?
The only need a DE owner might have for spare slides would be to allow sighting with Millett adjustable sights using a spare barrel.
I bought extra pistols to accomplish that, but there could be a limited market
from an owner of a chrome plated one who wants a 'shooter' set-up.

The recoil spring assembly will go in the 25-35 range.

Second photo.
Above goes for the standard finish frame - tougher sell with no internal parts.
Trigger and spare connecting bar - 15 -25. same for gas piston.

MK VII slide needs to only be sold with the 6" barrel from the first photo. I would also put one of the bolts and extractor in as well.
The smaller diameter MK I/VII barrels are no longer made and the slide will be a hard sell without a barrel.
The spare bolt should get 50 or more. Check the bolt face size with a .44 case before selling.
A .357 bolt has a smaller diameter face.

Blah, blah. Sorry for the long read, but you asked.
I'll close by re-emphasizing you should sell the MK VII slide from the bottom photo only with the 6" barrel from the top photo.

E-bay is probably the fastest place to sell all but the frames.

JT

Rembrandt

I might be interested in the early slide. Bought a .357 barrel, mag, and spring kit thinking I could install it on a Mark IX. Found out the bolts and slides were different from previous Mark VII. If you have the early slide and 357 bolt I'd be interested.

JT-AR-MG42

Say Rem,
The MK VII slide that Lemon showed in his second photo will not be compatible
with either the MK I/VII .357 barrel assembly or the .357 recoil spring assembly.

The pre- MK XIX 'uppers' were caliber specific as marked on the slides.

Just sayin', JT

lemmonhead

Thanks for the input. I went to good ol' YouTube and looked at some videos and schematics of the Desert Eagle. Found out I have enough parts to put together a full pistol.

Both barrels are the earlier style and worked with the one slide. I put it together and shot it yesterday at the range. The one magazine I have is old and doesn't have a very good spring in it otherwise the pistol shot well. Actually surprised at how accurate it is.

The one issue is it is missing the safety mechanism. The safety mechanism are not comparable with the newer and older slides.

I am going to look at numrich for the parts and finish putting the one together and sell it as a package with both barrels.

Skans

If that were my basket of parts, I'd put it together and make sure it works correctly, sell off the spare parts and then sell the gun as a good shooter. My guess is that someone would pay $700+/- for a good shooting DE non-matching parts gun. And, you should be able to get an additional $350+/- for the long barrel and maybe $150 for the stripped slide.

Adding it all up, you might be able to get $1,000 - $1,200 if you break it up that way.

Used black DE 44 magnums are selling in the $700 - $900 range depending on condition and whether it comes with extra mags, box etc. As far as I can tell, very few new ones are selling at all. I don't see these guns appreciating in value very much over the next 5 years.

Last edited:

reddog81

"Used black DE 44 magnums are selling in the $700 - $900 range depending on condition"

Where are these used DE's for $700. I've been looking for one in my neck of the woods for under $1,000 for the better part of 2 years.

Skans

Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/572768234
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/569429734
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/572292846
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/587928131

These are all in significantly better condition than the one that would result if the OP's frame and parts were assembled. I watch the prices on these and I've seen them sell for as low as $750 on gunbroker within the last year. That's what used ones showing a little wear are selling for; not what many buyers list them for.

If I were you I'd make an offer to Lemonhead. $700 is roughly about what that DE assembled should sell for.

Oh, and reddog, I see you are from Iowa. If you live anywhere near the Quad Cities, you really should check out the Rock Island Auction - I would bet you could pick up a decent used DE for about $700 at one of their auctions; not the premier auction, though.

Last edited:

reddog81

I would agree that $700 is probably reasonable for the condition of the ones in the OP. But I haven't seen any for sale anywhere close to that in central Iowa. Browsing Gunbroker gets me in too much trouble...

I'd be hesitant to fork over $700 for a beater without a FTF inspection. $900 for one decent condition would be doable.