Desert Eagle on the way...

JG

I lost my sanity once again- bought another Desert Eagle 50AE (used to have a Mark XIX)-
was going to get in Titanium Gold, but it was due in like 3 weeks and the extra $300-is like the half way mark for another gun, so I passed (got black again).

Am I only the one that is buying cannons like this, or do others exist- the way the guy was telling me, he was like "Nobody buys these guns anymore, maybe a few years ago-they're a novelty."

I don't care about it being in movies, I just think its a great 50.

[This message has been edited by JG (edited January 04, 2000).]

foxfire

JG,
No, you're not alone! I got a little 'crazy' myself last June and surprised my dad with a DE 50AE (black) for Father's Day. What an "Earschplittenloudenboomer" :) The smile on his face when he opened up the box was priceless! Here's hoping that you're enjoying yours as much as we are...

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...

JG

Well, thats the main reason I bought one again- the big boom, just a great stress reliever, very few guns I have fired give off the same feeling a DE 50 does. Wow, your father got lucky last FD, very generous of you- I also hope you enjoy yours well into the new century.

Judge Blackhawk

You are not the only one. I have a Desert Eagle new model in .44 magnum. I love the gun and it do get the oohsss and aawwwws at the range.

Wish I could find a way to conceal it.. just kidding.

They are fun guns. Buy the way my gun has the new model and says made in Isreal, I thought the new guns were made in U.S.A? Anyone have any ideas on this.

Judge Blackhawk

Governments ability to control is directly related to its ability to disarm - Judge Blackhawk

Frank the Spank

At first they were made in Isreal

Then they moved and made them in the USA

I'm guessing because of all the flack of anti gun laws they moved it all back to Isreal. All new Desert Eagles are made in Isreal now.

gunrunner

sound great i am looking at the baby eagle any comment on this gun and a good price, or place to buy one. thanks and good shootin
MIke

Phillip

JG, that extra 3 weeks for the Ti Gold finish was so that IMI could custom fit you for a Leopard pattern pimp hat with purple feather :)
I saw one of these once being fired at the range. Very loud and huge muzzle flash. The fellow shooting it (at 7 yards) had a group of about...well lets say it was all over the DPS silouette. I imagine though that if he used it for home defense, at that range the blast would stun a BG long enough to club, hog tie and brew a pot of coffee for the police to enjoy once they arrive on scene.

JG

Phillip,

hey, actually I am a pimp- you didn't know that I drive a white Wedding Style Rolls Royce to match my white Mink coat :)

Also, glad to see there are other Cannon enthusiasts here- I remember the cost of the ammo did get annoying, especially the factory
Magnum Research ammo-very expensive.

[This message has been edited by JG (edited January 06, 2000).]

chmeyers

I have a 44 mag Mk VII in chrome which I love. The ammo is reasonably priced. I also couldn't see spending a lot of cash on .50 AE. It's a bitch to clean though! Have fun,

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Phillip don't you know REAL pimp guns have pearl handles??

Lol I laughed my ass off reading that post.

NOTE: a 50 DE sounds like a 12 guage when fired in an indoor range. I recall laying my revolver down and WAITING for the guy 2 stalls over to completely finish before I could settle down and shoot. I also recall that this cannon had all the accuracy of a tennis ball machine set on "random" in that particular shooter's hands.

I have a lot of friends who are "INTO" big bore pistols, like 475 linebaughs and 30-06 encore pistols and 45/70 derringers and 454 casulls with 2 inch barrels.. they have more money than sense.

Now if I really REALLy had more money than sense a REAL pasadena 44 Automag would be the bee knees in big-bore auto loaders. Now THERE is a gun i'd like to see back.

Dr.Rob

Phillip

Dr. Rob, the pearl handles are IMI's option for next year, and I think that one will come with the fishbowl platform shoes :)
It's funny about the muzzle blast and the .50AE. It makes you take notice for sure, because you don't hear it very often (at least not in Austin). Now I sort of understand why people stop and look when I pop off a couple of .357 SIG rounds.

kerry

Yeah, there are still some hand cannon enthusiasts out here. I much prefer the 454 Casull to the .50 AE. If I could afford a good Linbaugh I would have one of those, too. They are not for everyone though. My brother just received a .50 AE Desert Eagle with only a dozen rounds through it from a guy that he did $200 worth of computer work for. Guy said he couldn't stand it. Go figure. Some peoples kids...

richardb

The Desert Eagle is still my dream gun. I'm saving for the Ti/Gold .44 mag, and the .50 barrel so I can swap.

I rent a DE .50 every other trip or so at a gun range I frequent. They rent it by the bullet ($1.50 per), because many people who try it fire one shot, then return it, never to try again. I buy a box of ammo at regular price ($23 for 20 shots) and shoot them all.

I find it to be reasonably accurate. I could keep all of the shots in a 6" circle at 5 yards, if I take my time.

I have noticed that most other shooters in the range stop when I open up with the cannon. It's really hard to concentrate with that thing going off. :)

Frank the Spank

I love pissing people off with my .44 Desert Eagle. One time me and some friends were shooting and on the other side of the range they were having a .22 pistol competition. I got some nasty looks when I walked passed them to buy another 50 rounds of .44

teehehehehehe :)

JG

Well, got the cannon today and its awesome as expected-hopefully it will function flawlessly. Its as NIB as it gets, the nice box it came in was shrink wrapped, and the gun was in cosmoline.

One thing I'm Pissed about. My old DE 50AE (1996 version) Mark XIX had nice Hogue grips.

This new made in Israel version has cheap garbage plastic grips (marked IMI)- thats weak. Called MR from the store, and made my complaint- guy sais "well you can have the nice grips, they are $49"

Well the store ended up ordering them for me- $45. Nothing better than buying an expensive handgun, and having to add something at an additional cost-where the gun should have them on there already.

Phillip

JG, yeah that sounds pretty lame of IMI :(
Well at least you got your DE, but maybe you should let IMI know about it also. If they receive enough complaints or "requests" they will start putting the Houges on the DE again.

Judge Blackhawk

When I got my new desert eagle .44 XIX model it had the same pitiful plastic grips. The pamphlet on the DE said it had the hogue grips. I call IMI and the lady said they were 49.00. I told her that was unacceptable and I want my money back for the purchase of the DE because of their false advertising. She put me on hold and within 5 minutes she offered them at 1/2 price. I still was not please but it was better than 50 dollars.

Dont let these companies get away with saying one thing and doing another. When I spent a grand on a gun. I want it to be what I paid for, I dont care what change in policy they have, when their brochure says hogue it should have hogue.

I know this will upset some people but my reading of their brochure was that all DE new models were made in America, that is when I bought mine. It says made in isreal. This also ticked me off. Also, the frame says 50AE stamped on it with another stamp added that says ".44 mag.", this in my view is chicken sH___t of IMI.

I bought and paid for a model XIX in .44 magnum. NOT a model VII 50AE that has a 44 magnum barrel.

the guy at IMI was not friendly, had a real pissy attitude, until I explained that I was familiar with the Texas Deceptive Practices Act and that in my humble opinion, my gun fell squarely in the bait and switch portion. I was told that I could send the gun back and get a full refund. I explained that this was not an option, but I did not appreciate the pitiful way IMI did business. I have since written to anyone that I could think of advising of IMI practices.

I love the gun but dislike IMI tremendously.

Happy Hand Cannoning

Judge Blackhawk

Governments ability to control is directly related to its ability to disarm. judge Blackhawk

Frank the Spank

Damn Blackhawk!! KICK SOME ASS!!

I bought mine used. I added the houge grips later on. They should come with them standard. It was like night and day when I switched the grips on my gun.

Damn all this talk about Desert Eagles I think I'm gonna break mine out and fondel it for awhile, hehehehehehe

I love my Desert Eagle :)

-Frank the Spank

JG

Wow, way to go Judge Blackhawk- I should have complained more, but I don't think this guy was going to budge (was a jerk). My gun is also marked on the barrel 50AE, and on the slide its marked "Desert Eagle 50AE Pistol/ .44mag."

MR is definitely a strange (and disorganized
company, know from past experience)- but as long as the gun works fine (didn't get a chance to shoot it yet) and I get my Hogue grips, I'll be happy.

Speaking of grips, Judge B or anyone else- Do you know a good way to get the plastic grips off? Thanks in advance.