Desert Bighorn Sheep

fatwhiteboy

I used to work with Quail Unlimited out here in Socal. Our major project was to restore guzzlers in the desert. A couple of times I took my son, 7 years old at the time, with us so he could see what the desert was really like. I got invited to help the Big Horn Society to help them with a few guzzlers. We had a great time repairing the water systems for the big horns, but never saw one. To be honest, the easiest way to see a desert bighorn in Southern Calif is to play golf at any of the courses along the mountains surrounding Palm Springs. My wife and I played Silver Rock in La Quinta last month and saw about 15 or 20 right on the course...

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Many desert areas have more food than water, so building guzzlers augments wildlife populations without stressing the habitat itself.

Wyoredman

Art, Simply amazing!

I am a sheep hunter. The only problem with being a sheep hunter is one must have a bank account with large balances! I don't, so I dream. The desert bighorn is my holy grail! Maybe someday I will get lucky in a lottery, either for one of the few coveted tags in Nevada or Arizona, or the power ball!:D

Thanks for the link. The pictures will keep this poor boy sheep hunting dreamer happy!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Giggle. In west Texas (not up in the Panhandle), we have the po-boy sheep: Aoudad are feral. They're scattered here and there from Fort Davis on down to the Rio Grande. No limit, no season. Day or night. All that's needed is a hunting license and a deal with a rancher.

Wyoredman

Art, If you recall, I had a thread about my trip to Alpine in January chasing those Aoudad! Great fun! Great country.

We were told that there is a few big horns north of Alpine, but we never saw any!