Derringers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Sparks

For whatever reason I have developed a desire to purchase a derringer. I don't know why maybe watching Wild West Tech last night on the History channel or too many cowboy movies as a kid. Anyway, who makes a good one and which ones should I avoid?

News Shooter

Cowboy Shooters

Seem to like either American Derringer or Bond Arms. Never had one myself except as a kid. I lived vicariously through every TV Western in the 50's including..Yancy Derringer..

Trivia..who was Yancy's sidekick???? :)

Old John

Bond Arms

Hi Billy & Y'all,

I can recommend Bond Arms Derringers. But, they are pricier
than most of the rest. DSW Sharon has one in .45acp and I have one
in .45LC/.410ga. Both are "Texas Defender models" w/ trigger guards.
Bond Arms is not your Granddaddy's old Derringer.
They have a totally new locking mechanism, much easier to use than the
old one. It makes reloads much easier.

In either caliber, they are not "real bad" on recoil. But, they will jump
some. DSW Sharon can shoot either one of them, & she's just 5' tall.
We practice with Cowboy loads, a lot lighter, & carry full loads for SD.
They are flat & easy to conceal. But Bond is bigger & heavier than most.
They are definitely not a cheap piece of junk.Stainless throughout.
Get what you pay for.
Have a good-un.
Old John

Glenn E. Meyer

Pahoo Kah-te-wah (or something like) - Wolf who stands in water.

Yancy was fond of 4 barrelled Sharps - two in his vest, two in his sleeves and one in his hat.

Current derringers - Bond - big steel
More like the classic Remington - IAR and American Derringer

HJS made 4 barrel Sharps type in 22 LR but they folded.

The cowboy shooters know alot about them

dairycreek

I can recommend American Derringer as a quality piece of workmanship. Take a look at their web site and what they produce.
http://www.amderringer.com/first.html

As to shooting a derringer that is another question. I had one in 38/357. No matter what I shot in it the recoil was horrendous and the accuracy was non existent.

It was really pretty and I wish I still had it but it sure was not a great shooting pistol :confused:

OldFart

gunderrcowboylarge.gif

I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who has the Cowboy Defender...it appears Bond is going after the CAS with a vengence.

I had an American Derringer in .38Spl for side events, but sold it at a great loss- the barrels wouldn't hit anywhere near each other, much less POA.

gordo b.

Uberti actually made Derringers in the 70's. They were called "Maverick". I have one in .357 and one in 45 LC. You can shoot 2 1/2" .410's in the .45. I shoot .38s in the .357 . I have slicked up the triggers and filed the sights. The .38 with wadcutters won me a few Derringer side matchs-nobody comes close . Elmer Kieth liked the Maverick .45. They are robustly made and weigh about a pound, but are traditional looking in every way. I'll add a picture to this post later.
I also have a nice old original Rem .41, which at 12oz is much smaller. Mine is a Nickle final change model and is tight and accurate too. The old Navy arms .41 Rimfire ammo of which I have 3 boxes out of 6 I bought in late 70's , shoots at 620 fps with a crisp discharge.

Hal

Toy or tool?

As a toy,,I can highly recommend the utter POS Davies in .22lr.

It's as worthless as Derringers costing 10 times as much. The difference is that you know going in,,it's useless. By a strange twist,,,,that makes it all the more fun to shoot. :D

Seriously though,,,if you have any thoughts at all of using a centerfire cartridge, the Davies' have a very poor reputation for holding up. The rimfire model seems to be up to the task though.

Whatever - @ $49.00 it scratched my Derringer itch.

Superhornet

If you are not to concerned about caliber, find yourself one of the High Standard D-100's in .22 long rifle or mag. Was one of the best designed hammerless double actions made. Of course they are now long out of production. IMHO

skeeter

I agree with Superhornet that the early High Standards are great derringers if you can find them. They are VERY thin without the stocks ( 1/2"), are light due to flat thin barrel/ aluminum frames and are very safe.I was going to sell my 22mag but it is worth more to me them what I was being offered. I see them once in a while for $180-200. All the other brands are so heavy and big you might as well get a SW 342 (10 oz) or the SW 642 (15 oz.) 38Sp J frame.
I was asking $300 with 2 high concealment holsters and it is like new in box with papers (and bill of sale). Most I was offered was $200.

Status
Not open for further replies.