Derringer questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Larsen

I am just curious about Derringers. Calibers, quality, expense etc.
Am. Derringer and Bond Arms seems to be high quality little guns.
Does anyone own a very high quality derringer...? I know they are roughly the same weight and size as a J frame....so please no "advice" in that regard. I dont know that I will ever own one...but some of them are pretty damn cool.
Shoot well

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The only real beef I have with them is A) they tend to be hard to hit with at distances much further than arm's length due to rudimentary sights and heavy trigger pulls, and B) thumb-cocking between shots could be annoying in a life-or-death situation.

They're more useful than a handful of nothin', though (as the saying goes) and American Derringer and Bond Arms do, indeed, turn out high quality product. Stay away from Davis derringers.

foghornl

Hmmmmm
Haven't thought about the little 2-shot over/under in a long time. Did carry one as a tertiary emergency only in .22 Mag many years ago. American Derringer does make a good product, but as a couple of other folks have pointed out, avoid the Davis guns like you would avoid Ebola

Deuce

I own an NAA .22WMR 5-shot derringer. First and foremost, the problem is, I can't get a grip on it ... my middle finger is the only thing holding on to the gun when firing. Add to that, the, relatively, heavy trigger pull and I'm lucky to hit 12" at 10'. I keep it because it is very well constructed and might make a nice hierloom.

As already mentioned, anyone wishing to buy a derringer for any purpose which requires hitting a target more than 2' away is in for a big disappointment.

dairycreek

I had an American derringer in 38/357.

It was stainless and it was really attractive. Shooting it with 38 special ammo was tolerable. But, shooting it with 357 was a really negative experience. It recoiled, twisted in my hand, bit me a little bit and it was not one little bit pleasant. Because I am not easily intimidated (or quite bright ) I shot it again. Same result! Not a pleasant experience. Accuracy was marginal. I have never wished I kept it but it sure was pretty. Good shooting:)

KSFreeman

I have them to pieces. YMMV.

Echo Tamara's warning about Kalifornia Z guns.

Question about derringers? NO!!!

Salt

Davis Derringers work fine, I hav carried one for years.

BTW, Magnum loads are a handfull in the service revolvers and I can not understand why anyone could want a magnum chambering in a Derringer.

.38 Special & 9mm are just about the maximum load for a Derringer pistol.

Eric Larsen

Thanks for the info. I may get one someday...or not. I just played with a Bond Arms .357 at a local shop and it was pretty damn cool :D I think in a CCW role, it may have a back up back up back up back up gun purpose...or a safe gun...very little else.
Shoot well

i've got an American that i play the cowboy game with that quit shooting after a short while and after they kept it for what seemed to be forever i got it back and it works OK......some of my posse members had pretty much the same experience.......another buddy has a Bond and i've seen it let him down at matches also......but after repairs i like mine....mine looks like something a Pimp would carry--you know bright polished stainless and white grips.......Dick

Dick, what kind of problems are you seeing in these derringers. I have always meant to buy one of the American Derringers in some ridiculous caliber. .223 Remington or possibly .45/70 Government. I had the impression that they were very well made. If people are having problems I may scratch the whole thing.

If you are buying something as a novelty, that really has no practical value, why not get it in .45/70 ? That makes sense to me. You arn't going to make it any more practical by buying it in .38 Special or whatever. This is one of those items that I would buy immediately if I just got a big paycheck with lots of OT and I saw it in the display case before me. Actually ordering one is more of a problem.

Casey

Hello all.

The range I shoot at in Powell has a derringer (I don't remember which manufacturer, I wasn't really interested) in.... 45 Colt and .410.

Just a note for those of you who want something really different!

Casey

Hutch

I have to throw in my story, also told in other threads. I have an acquaintance that has (or had) an American Derringer in .30-30 Win. Saw it. Saw him unload it. Still barely believe it. He claimed to have shot it 3 times with factory ammo. Wow.

Hand_Rifle_Guy

Tamara, The Monster is not a derringer. Not any longer, anyway. It is more properly a Custom Pocket Double Rifle built on a derringer frame. :D

Pic, of an ADC Model 8, which The Monster is.
M8.jpg

24 ounces of stainless steel Com-Bloc firepower.

And for you competition-minded folks:
m8scope.jpg

"Shown here is the Model 8, the world's first competition derringer, fitted with an Adco red-dot scope. The 8 inch barrel provides match quality accuracy, which when combined with the quality of an American Derringer, makes for one serious competition gun."

Hey, they said it, not me. I don't know if mine is match-accurate or not. It hurts too much to shoot it to find out.

Also have standard Model 1 in .45 ACP. I put custom-made grips on it to mitigate the recoil somewhat, which this picture lacks.
m1.jpg

And there's something about these 4" barreled guns that catches my eye. Interesting proportions. Almost racy looking.
m4alaska.jpg
m4.jpg

All images courtesy of American Derringer.

http://www.amderringer.com/first.html

Some folks just ain't right. :D
I believe I resemble that remark, Tamara. Ain't I special? ;)

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some folks just ain't right. :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would explain The Firing Line. :p ;) :D

I shall take an appelation that was specific to me being applied to the whole board as a compliment of the highest order. I thank you.

Eric Larsen

After having the distinct pleasure of shooting a 45-70 Govt BFR recently. I can honestly say I will NEVER shoot my dads 45-70 Govt. Pocket gun....its some cheap "last chance or die" gun for Polar bears, reanimated T-Rex's and Alien space craft. :D
Shoot well

P.S you are all absolutely NUTS and I appreciate all of you ! ;)

Dave T

Bulldog, 444, and others,

Met a guy at the range I use who owns an American 45/70. He said, with a straight face, that he had fired it once (one barrel). He then went on to say he couldn't find anyone dumb (actually "stupid" was the word he used) enough to buy it so he still has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.