Dent removal finished laminate stock

I have a rifle with a nice laminate stock that I accidently struck with a wrench and it is marred with a dent. Can finished laminate be steamed to raise the dent, with a wet cotton cloth and a steam iron? I am sceptical this will be productive, since the wood is finished. Any experince or tips will be helpful.

Thanks!

FrankenMauser

Only one way to find out....

I don't mean that to be overly sarcastic or ridiculous. It really is the case. There are a lot of different laminates out there, finished in different ways.

Just thinking here...
If the dent does not have finish damage, the steam is unlikely to be able to penetrate. As such, (dry) heat is the best answer. Use the moisture already in the wood to do the work for you.

Torch. Oven. Sunbathing on a summer day...
Whatever works.

Scorch

If there is no finish on the laminate, denatured alcohol wiped on the grain will raise the dent.

T. O'Heir

"...Will the steam iron work on laminate?..." It should raise the first layer, at least. Laminates are like plywood. However, some of 'em have a finish that penetrates the first layer and keeps moisture out.
Like FrankenMauser says not all laminates are created equal. Trying it will tell you right away. You can't hurt it any more than whacking it with a wrench.

Pahoo

Controled heat will work

There are a lot of different laminates out there, finished in different ways.
Agree !!!

Just thinking here...
If the dent does not have finish damage, the steam is unlikely to be able to penetrate. As such, (dry) heat is the best answer. Use the moisture already in the wood to do the work for you.
Most folks don't realize that there is enough moisture in the wood, that will lift the dent. The application of external moisture just assures that it is present. I use a "hobby" hand iron that I use, successfully. ….. :)

Be Safe !!!

Thanks for the comments. I'll give it a try. It's a Boyds stock, and when I dinged it kinda made me feel like a klutz. Don't want to klutz it up any worse.:eek:Thanks again!