Delta Elite frame cracking timeline ?

Jimmy10mm

I had a Delta Elite in the '90s and sold it once I heard that they were suffering from cracked frames. I bought a Glock 20 and didn't look back until lately. Now I want to buy another DE but I want blue, not stainless so I will have to go for an older one.

Anyone know if there is a serial # beyond which Colt addressed the problem ? If it ever really was a problem ..... I regret selling my old one. It was a good gun and I might never have had a problem. :(

hook63

There were very few that didn't have the cut out that prevented it from cracking. I bought mine as soon as I could and it had the modification.

ranburr

Only the original pistols had issues. Any that have the rail removed above the the slide lock are fine.

RickB

The cracked frame issue may have been addressed pre-production; I've never seen a Delta without the cut-through frame rail.

ILLINI

I saw one at the Olofson Shooting Range in IA. It was in excellent shape. You should call this number (515) 795-2067 and ask to speak with Michael Warman...Illini

Brian48

I've seen and handled quite a few of the older DEs and I've never seen one that didn't have the modification to the frame to eliminate the cracking issue.

montrose981

old delta elite

the origin problem with DE where that the first factory ammo from Norma was that the power charge was to heavy and ram the back of the frame on recoil
the fix was to add a double recoil spring one inside the other. and reduce the power charge....... the frame cracking gave the weapon a bad rep. COLT have start up the DE again it low numbersonly in ss. I still have my first DE and never have had a problem after installing the double spring set up. i still have a blue DE unfired in my safe s/n DE0011 that is more than 30 years old and i still am firing round thru my govt DE..... the new run of DE are round 1295.00 retail

troy_mclure

the frame cracking was a pre production fix. no guns made it to the market with this problem.

ive seen new de's go for $1kish.