Definition of Mouse Gun - Proposal

KyJim

There's a mouse gun discussion going on in the semi-auto section. Invariably, someone suggests an elephant sized mouse gun, like a Colt New Agent. I would suggest the official definition of mouse gun to be "a handgun of any type with an overall length of no more than 5.5 inches and a height of no more than 4.0 inches." There would be no restriction on weight since it is the size that mattes.

This definition barely fits the Sig P238 and Colt Mustang. More precisely, those guns barely fit the definition. The SW J-frames would be out but most of the NAA mini-revolvers would make it. To my knowledge, the Rohrbaugh would be the only 9mm semi-auto to make it.

In my mind the term "mouse gun" does not simply mean a gun capable of being carried in a pocket. It means, well, tiny as a mouse.

I'll leave for another day the proposed definitions of "sub-compact" and "compact" handgun.

So, how about it?

If a deer rifle is for shooting deer, a duck gun is for shooting ducks, a big game gun is for big game, then I would think that a mouse gun should be suited for shooting mice. Sadly, most are really better suited for shooting animals thousands of times larger than mice and most people would be hard pressed to hit mice with their mouse guns at distances more than a few yards.

KyJim

Have you visited this site? http://www.mouseguns.com/
I have. He equates "pocket gun" with a mouse gun. I don't. I carry a J-frame sometimes in my pocket and do not consider it a mouse gun. Heck, I've carried a 3 inch 1911 in a pocket and it is sure no mouse gun.

From that site: "LCP = Little Crappy Pistol"

It can't be that bad can it?
I think you need some eyeglasses. He calls it the "Little Copy Pistol" copied after the Kel-Tec.

most people would be hard pressed to hit mice with their mouse guns at distances more than a few yards.
That's me, for sure. But, when it is a choice of carrying a mouse gun or nothing at all, I'll take the mouse gun everyday.

So, nobody with an opinion?

spamanon

I think you need some eyeglasses. He calls it the "Little Copy Pistol" copied after the Kel-Tec.

Yessir, I did mess that one up, didn't I?! I must have been seeing what I wanted to see, because I just had my eyes checked and I am 20/18 in one and 20/15 in the other.

tipoc

Is there a reason to redefine what mousegun means?

This is a term that has been around for quite a few generations. Pretty much it means now what it meant 60 years ago...

A gun in a caliber of .380 acp or less, usually less, built to be small and easily concealable. Guns like the Seecamp LWS, the Walther TPH, the Berretta 950 series, the Baby Brownings, etc. These are mouse guns. You can debate about guns around the edges. But at the heart of it are those type guns. A small gun in a mouse gun caliber.

tipoc

KyJim

This is a term that has been around for quite a few generations. Pretty much it means now what it meant 60 years ago. . .

A gun in a caliber of .380 acp or less, usually less, built to be small and easily concealable.
So the Rohrbaugh isn't a mouse gun because it is 9mm but my Bersa Thunder .380 is a mouse gun because it is easily concealable? I've carried it in my pocket but I don't consider it a mouse gun. Things have changed in the last 60 years. I'm no expert but I think most of the "mouse guns" from 60 years ago were probably smaller than .380.

Jim March

How about "shoots ammo of less than 200ft/lbs energy"?

Since there are hot .380s out now that beat that, I don't think we can consider 380s (or 38Spls) "mouseguns".

tipoc

So the Rohrbaugh isn't a mouse gun because it is 9mm but my Bersa Thunder .380 is a mouse gun because it is easily concealable?

The Rohrbaugh is not a mouse gun for the reasons stated. It is not about size alone. The Bersa Thunderer like the Walther PPK is on the large size for a mouse gun, they are more a compact gun. The PPK was introduced as a holster gun.

This is old school stuff folks. Hasn't changed much. Mouse guns can also be vest pocket guns rather than holster guns.

No mouse gun is in .38 Spl. .380 is marginal but NAA and Seecamp have built mouse gun sized .380s.

Like I said the center is clear but the edges can blur.

tipoc

Last edited:

Cheapshooter

From that site: "LCP = Little Crappy Pistol"

If that is their opinion I won't waste my time on a site that has people who don't have a clue what they are talking about!
My Elsie is one of the most reliable of all my handguns. She goes with me everywhere!!!
Even on a trip to the range with more sophisticated and refined companions from Colt, Beretta, Smith & Wesson. CZ, and Glock, with the proper caress and squeeze she does what she is meant to do. EVERY TIME !!!

Last edited:

Chesster

This is a term that has been around for quite a few generations. Pretty much it means now what it meant 60 years ago...

A gun in a caliber of .380 acp or less, usually less, built to be small and easily concealable. Guns like the Seecamp LWS, the Walther TPH, the Berretta 950 series, the Baby Brownings, etc. These are mouse guns. You can debate about guns around the edges. But at the heart of it are those type guns. A small gun in a mouse gun caliber.

tipoc

These are what I think of as mouseguns. Next up is the pocket or medium class concealables, followed by service or belt holster carries, and finally the larger hunters. On such a subject, I know we can "yes but" it to death with exceptions.

TenRing

There is no need to define the term "mouse gun". It is a subjective concept and either you get it or you don't. Likewise, we don't really need to define "Saturday night special", "service revolver" or "woods gun". If you make a rule, somebody will break it.:D

tipoc

There is no need to define the term "mouse gun". It is a subjective concept and either you get it or you don't. Likewise, we don't really need to define "Saturday night special", "service revolver" or "woods gun". If you make a rule, somebody will break it.

I think this is right. Every one knows what a snub nose revolver is. But fellas can debate at what point it stops being a snub and becomes a short barreled gun.

If you have a small gun fitting in the palm of your hand and it's in a minor caliber likely it's a mouse gun.

tipoc

amazon shooter

New Data from the Firearms Research Institute of the Amazon

We at the Firearms Research Institute of the Amazon (FRIA) define a "Mouse Gun" as:

1. a firearm small enough for a mouse to carry.
2. a firearm for killing mice - one shot stops only!
3. a firearm carried by a mousey looking people.

We recommend that the appropriate word for such a firearm would be a "Palm Pistol".

We all know what a pistol is - The definition of a "Palm" is:

1. a linear measure of from 3 to 4 inches (7 1 / 2 –10 centimeters), based on the breadth of the hand.
2. a linear measure of from 7 to 10 inches (17 1 / 2 –25 centimeters), based on the length of the hand.

Sincerely,

The Director

marshall2

lcp at mouseguns.com

Thank you all for looking in on www.mouseguns.com. I respect the Ruger company, and their products, and would never say the LCP is "crappy." I stand by "copy." "Little Copy Pistol" is an easy way to remember it, for me at least. I do believe it is a really nice copy of the Kel-Tec P-3AT. I have never owned an LCP yet, but I expect that someday I will.
Marshall at www.mouseguns.com

marshall2

Nomenclature

"Pocket pistol" or "Pocket gun" is great! I suppose the first person who used the term "mousegun" meant it to make fun of little guns. However, some people like the little guns so much, and they think the name "mousegun" is sort of cute. So they adopted it, too. What's in a word? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, says the immortal bard.