deference in series I and II kimbers

mparris71

difference in series I and II kimbers

Hi,
I am sure this has been asked before but could not find it on the search page. But what is the difference in series I and II kimbers?
is the Series II an improvement over the original or just some lawyer features?:barf: looking at the Stainless Compact on the web thinking of picking one up. Whats your opinion on this pistol?
Thanks
Mparris

Last edited:

dsk

Series I Kimbers will fire if there's a round in the chamber and you pull the trigger.

Series II Kimbers may fire if there's a round in the chamber and you pull the trigger.

At least the main difference I noticed with the ones I had. :rolleyes:

duckdawg

If you are going to "defer" to a gun that will shoot out of the box without investing another 500 dollars US for stuff that should have been provided with the original pistol, you should invest in a Beretta 8045 in .45acp.

Then you will have proper "deference". And, by the way, there is a difference between "deference" and "difference".

But then again, I "defer" to my own opinion... :rolleyes:

youngun

Duckdawg, thnk yo for the spelling lesson. Very informative.
Could you also explain to which $500 parts exactly you refer?
My pistol didn't cost much more than that, and though I'll admit to putting a few dollars' worth of heavier spring in it, I'm pretty stoked at the performance over the last year and a half.

BTW, what's the trigger weigh on that 8045?:D

Dave Mo

The answer to your question

is - The series II added a firing pin block which is released by squeezing the grip. This has given some owners problems when/if the pin block prevents the firing pin from striking the primer, either complete blockage or light primer strikes.

Two reasons given for some owners having problems -
1. Improper grip on the gun while firing (owner related)
2. Sloppy MFG which requires a "death grip" to move the pin block out of the way of the firing pin (Kimber related)

You pick which reason you prefer. Either problem can be fixed.

Kevinch

The SERIES II has a firing pin block added. Simply, it is a mechanism by which a "stop" prevents the firing pin from moving forward and striking the cartridge primer until, in this case, the grip safety is depressed. In a Colt Series 80 pistol, the block is moved out of he way by pulling the trigger back.

The SERIES I guns did not have a firing pin block - as didn't the Colt 70 Series. (Also - the Kimber guns were never titled "Series I"; that name just sort of stuck when they came out with the "II" guns.)

I've never fired a Series II gun. You'll find posts all over the place complaining about the design or its execution. From as near as I can tell, some of the first run of guns were very picky about having to have the grip safety depressed "just so" to get the whole system working right to fire the gun. Lately, I've read that both the Tacoma WA PD & the LAPD SWAT have chosen the basic Kimber Custom Classic pistols for issue to their officers. In particular, the Tacoma PD used "over the counter" guns in all their evaluations. There is a Tacoma PD employee over at The 1911 Forum that posted about the tests. It would seem most of the bugs have been worked out.

For me, I'd rather have the Series I guns - of which I have 2! :) But, I wouldn't let the Series II safety stop me from buying another Kimber, if that is what I wanted.

You might also want to check out the newer Colt, SA, & especally the Dan Wesson guns. There are a lot of nice 1911 pistols to choose from these days! From my personal experience, you won't go wrong with a Kimber.

dav

kimber I vs. II

It does not matter in your case, but the Kimber II was created (partially) to meet Kalifornia legal requirements. It can be purchased in Kalifornia. The series I is not legal (for purchase) in Kalifornia.