Defensive Load for Springfield XD40

Dogger

I have no prior experience with .40 S&W. I bought a NIB Springfield XD40 last week as a birthday present for myself.

Since the hardball ammo available was 180 grain, I bought the Hornady 180 grain XTPs for carry ammo, hoping point of aim/point of impact will be similar. Any thoughts on 180 grainer hollowpoints as a defense load? This will be a car gun and a trail gun. Thanks.

mons-meg

I have some pretty hot 180 grain JHP's in my Steyr M40, and have shot enough of them at the range to know that you should be prepared for some extra recoil.

That being said, I like the idea of deeper penetration and tend not to worry so much about over penetration as I do in missing the target entirely. ;)

Dogger

Wow, only one recommendation in two days. I suppose there isn't much experience on the forum with the XD series, but I would think there would be plenty of thoughts on the 40 S&W ammo.

Hmmm...

mons-meg

Another thought, while I think 180 gr JHPs are definitely a valid defensive load, a concern with hollowpoints in general is that you find a cartridge that will feed reliably. Some guns are more sensitive to the less conical bullet shapes. (I don't know the technical term for this)

priv8ter

What I use

I have an H&K USP in .40, and what I carry is 180gr Remington Golden Sabre's. They are a bit pricey, but I have never had a problem with feeding. Like you, I use exclusively 180gr ammo...

MikeJ

I highly recommend the Remington 165 grain Golden Sabers, lots of power and very accurate out of my .40's.

Catbird

I have an HS2000 (the pre-XD in 9mm) and a new XD40.

For .40 Auto carry ammunition, I also recommend the 165 grain Remington Golden Sabers. Check here for a good price: www.keislersonline.com
Click on AMMUNITION, Remington.

KSFreeman

In my LEO daze I carried a .40. I preferred the Hornaday XTP round. Good bullet, low flash.

The gun rag rubbish often makes nice pretty, blinding fireballs that enthrall gun writers and GSCs. Test your ammo--in daylight and at night.