'Defense' shells in 410?

chris in va

I have a single shot Pardner 410 that I want to loan to my daughter for HD until she can get something more suitable.

Can these dedicated defense shells be used in the full choke barrel, such as PDX-1 or slugs? Suggestions?

BigJimP

There are a number of companies that make "OO" buck in .410 as well...and I think that is a better plan than a slug. ( I think there are 9 pellets of "OO" in a 1/2 oz load ).

Make sure you look at the chamber length on that gun ...and remember its the "fired length" on a shotgun shell.

SHR970

BigJimP wrote:There are a number of companies that make "OO" buck in .410 as well...and I think that is a better plan than a slug. ( I think there are 9 pellets of "OO" in a 1/2 oz load ).

There are a number of companies that make "OO" 000 buck in .410 as well...and I think that is a better plan than a slug. ( I think there are 9pellets of "OO" in a 1/2 oz load 5 00 Buck pellets in a 5/8 oz load or 5 000 buck pellets in a 13/16 oz load).

S&B makes a 3" 00 buck load w/ 5 00 buck pellets.

Winchester and Federal make a 3" load w/ 5 000 buck pellets.

Nobel Sport makes a 3" load w/ 4 40 cal pellets.. slightly larger than 0000 buck.

Remington makles a 3" load w/ 5 #1 Buck

You can also get 000 buck in 2 1/2" shells..usually w/ 3 pellets.

Any of these beats harsh words and a tennis racquet while waiting for 911 to arrive.

44 AMP

Staff
will the copper discs in the PDX damage the full choke barrel?

I don't see how copper is going to damage the STEEL of the barrel.

Ammo makers know that at least SOME of the guns their ammo is going to be shot from will be full choke guns. The ammo is made to handle that.

if it wasn't there would be a warning label on the ammo not to use it in full choke guns!

The old .410 slug load was a 1/4oz slug doing a factory claimed "max" velocity, I've seen 1600fps listed. If we round down the figures, and drop a couple hundred fps from the claimed velocity (from a full length shotgun barrel) we get a roughly .40cal 110gr "bullet" doing about 1400fps.

What popular defense rounds is this close to???

Buckshot does increase the number of hits likely, but each pellet is lighter than the slug and will likely have less penetration as a result of that.

A single shot isn't the preferred choice for a defensive weapon but its better than no gun at all. Slugs and Buckshot are better than bird shot. I've shot slugs from a .410 Contender (10"), they are a pretty impressive round from a pistol. Never bothered with the buckshot in .410, myself.

SHR970

44AMP wrote:The old .410 slug load was a 1/4oz slug doing a factory claimed "max" velocity, I've seen 1600fps listed. If we round down the figures, and drop a couple hundred fps from the claimed velocity (from a full length shotgun barrel) we get a roughly .40cal 110gr "bullet" doing about 1400fps.

What popular defense rounds is this close to???

Buckshot does increase the number of hits likely, but each pellet is lighter than the slug and will likely have less penetration as a result of that.

1) Old slugs were usually 1/5 oz. 1/4 is a more recent development. 87 gr vs 110 gr.

2) Foster slugs are hollow and tend to rip apart ..see gel tests. Brenneke slugs hold up much better.

3) 110 gr. bullet @ 1400 fps. Reduce to 35 cal and you have the 110 gr. 357 load.

4) The buck loads penetrate very well thank you. See Brassfetcher gel tests. 5 .36" wound tracks vs. 1 .395 from a slug. watch part 3 for 000 buck

chris in va

Thank you very much for the info. Good to know about slugs too. They live in a newer townhouse so buckshot may be the better option.

Cheapshooter

More to the point though, will the copper discs in the PDX damage the full choke barrel?
They won't do any damage to the gun barrel, but they will also be less likely to do as much damage to an intruder as the OOO buckshot liads.
Kind of a gimmicky round brought out for the 45/410 revolvers.