Defending against attacking dog

Last night a dog attacked my neighbors dog while we were both in our back yards walking our dogs.

It happened so fast I barely had time to warn my neighbor before it was attacking his dog. My neighbor grabbed hold around the dogs throat and was starting to choke it, but it still wouldn't let go of his dog. I started hitting it's nose and it released after the 3rd hit.

Then the owner of the dog finally showed up, balls his hands into fists and starts acting like he was going to attack me. "Don't f'ing hit my dog" is a direct quote I think. My neighbor then let go of the attacking dog and it started running back for the owners house. I stood up and the dog owner must have thought twice, cause I was 1/2 foot taller and outweighed him. He went back to make sure his dog was going home.

My neighbors hand was all bloody and one of his dogs (Scottish terrier I think) was badly injured. Had my wife call the sheriff and EMS to take care of the guy, while I got my medical kit, .38 and pepper spray in case the dog owner came back.. Guy was only knicked a little, but his whole hand was starting to swell from the bite.

Heard the sheriff talking to the dog owner a little while later, and the idiot owner was raising his voice to the sheriff.

I don't generally carry on my own property, unless I feel a reason to, unknown dogs on the loose, unknown strangers around, but I think I will be from now on.

If I had been armed, I wouldn't have been able to shoot as my neighbor had the attacking dog in a head lock trying to seperate the two dogs.

So what are good methods of defending from a dog attack. Does pepper spray work on them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Borf

There's a great dane that lives around the corner from which is allowed to run around area loose sometimes. He's already bitten one of the neighbors (who declined to report it!!!). I was out jogging about a month ago when the thing flies after me out of some bushes. He kept trying to get around behind me and was snapping his jaws, but didn't actually make contact with me at any point. We danced around for 30-60 seconds, me spinning ducking and yelling, and him darting and snapping. I kept backing up through all this, and when I finally got a few houses down he gave up interest and left.

When I moved to the area, I noticed a few people that walk their dogs and jog while carrying both pepper spray *and* a 3 foot wooden rod. One lady I spoke to uses her whomping stick about once a week. Little lady, but between her pepper spray and stick she seems well able to defend herself against dogs.

Carrying? Someone/something may have to change my mind, but I think a big stick (thicker than broomhandle) or pipe and pepper spray is better dog medicine than a handgun.

Gino

Most states have "vicious dog" codes. If your neighbor calls animal control and reports this, he MIGHT be able to have this dog legally declared a "vicious dog".

Once it has been declared a vicious dog, it must be kept in a totally enclosed cage. If it does attack someone else, then it might be ordered destroyed by animal control. This might not sound like much, but if someone does have to shoot the dog to defending themself, this would help them to justify the shooting.

Good luck,
Gino

hmmm... Big stick sounds good to... think I'll keep one out in back. Was more wondering the effectiveness of the pepper spray than anything else.

The .38 was more for the 2 legged owner who was starting to attack me.

The Sheriff handled all the paper work and started the file on the dog. My neighbor also told me that the attacking dogs' owner just lost another dog from distemper. Personally if they cant take care of their dogs they dont deserve them.

Jeff OTMG

Bodyguard fogger has proven effective on dogs for me. The streams tend to get hung up on fur, but the fogger gets inhaled.

As far as your unarmed situation and assuming that you did not have a knife with you either, since your neighbor had the dogs head imobilized I suggest jumping in the air and landing with your heels of your shoes together while kicking down on the dogs spine. If the dog is a bit to tall for that a stomp with one foot or landing your full weight on your shin across the spine will likely shatter a few vertabrae as well. If the dog is low enough to the ground or is imobilized with a spinal injury you can use the jumping method with your heels together on the dogs head. This method was taught by Sykes and Fairbairn (sp?).

Poodleshooter

I used to jog with a lacrosse stick filled with sand. I'd use it to practice my stickwork, gain strength,and whack annoying dogs. The best part was that it was completely legal, weighed quite a bit, and had a very sharp bottom edge when the buttcap was removed.

HankB

One thing I found works well is concentrated ammonia - not the stuff you find in the supermarket, but the stuff they used to use to develop diazo blueprints. I used to carry a squirt bottle of this when walking to school, fortified with powdered cayenne pepper. Now, normally I like dogs - and they seem to like me. (No accounting for taste!) But I felt compelled to use my homemade dog spray twice on some very unfriendly - and big! mutts.

It worked!

m16a2223

Kam,
The way the dog held on when your neighbor choked it sounds like it might have been a pit, or a staffordshire. It is their nature to hang on rather than change holds like most pooches will do. We do a lot of hog hunting w/ pits here(SW Al) and to make them let go, you can either grab his "windpipe" and when he gasps for air, jerk him away or use a "breaking stick". A breaking stick is just a short stick (maybe 12in) that is stuck in the corner of the mouth and used to pry the jaw open.
On Pit Bulls: In my opinion, they are amoung the greatest companion dogs in existance but they have the potential to do serious damage. Pits love to catch other animals, its just their nature, but I have also had pits that would catch a 300 lb hog and hold it till death then the same dog would hold little piglets to the ground until some arrived to catch it. Very intelligent dogs.
Also,per your friends injury, sometimes a pit that would never intentionally hurt a person gets so fixated on what hes doing, he accidentally "nicks" the person trying to break him.
Personally, I dont think pits should be used as guard dogs. I have seen some dogs kept in pens and never given the attention that they need and are encouraged to be mean. This is extreemly irresponsible and unnessisary. Pits are very loyal, there is no need to "make" them mean for them to protect their own.

gee, look what that turned into, whew......guess I just wanted to write, m16

10 X

I have shot and killed an agressive dog before, was minding my own business when the dog broke from his owners side, as if told or commanded to do so. The owner was laughing from across the street.

I tapped the dog twice, and the owner then became aggressive toward me. I told him that he was next.

Seem's the County Sheriffs Dept had trouble with him before for the same thing. I was allowed to go about my business after and owner was charged.

Case closed :)

Smurfslayer

unarmed dog referee

From a former Humane Society & Animal rehabilitator(not me)

Grab the attacking dog's hind section, picking him up like a wheelbarrow, under the gut & both legs. IF dog breaks attack & goes for you, use centrifugal force so dog can't turn on you. Once you have built up enough spinning motion, release dog so as to get maximum height, and with luck, they'll land and sprain at least one leg. Run, do Not walk to shelter.

Next, you get to go through rabies shots, at least until you know the attacking dog is negative.

HTH

Yes, it was a pit or pit mix.

I'm sure my neighbor wouldn't have been injured had he not tried to rescue his dog. But then he would have had a dead dog.

I can understand about not judging all dogs by this example.
My brother-in-law has 3 rot's who are the sweetest dogs in the world, have yet to see them act agressively towards anyone. But they are still big dogs, and I treat them with the respect and care I do a loaded weapon.

Dr Heckel

One method to disable a dog if your hands are all thats available, is to get it by the front legs,(if possible of course) and pull them apart hard and fast. It should cause the dogs sternum to break and give you the definite upper hand in the situation. Im sure its much easier said than done, thats why I prefer the Vulcan death grip.

I can speak from experience on the "big stick" approach. I have been approached by vicious dogs many times while hiking; some of these dogs were wild and some were off their owner's leash and getting "frisky". After my first dog encounter I decided to start taking a 5 foot long hickory walking stick along. All you have to do is keep it pointed at their muzzle, no matter which way the dog turns. Then you simply advance on them. There's no way they can get close to you and they will soon look for an easier target to harrass.

A.Rex

Ah, doggies.

I've been bitten more times than I can count... had the opportunity to live in many neighborhoods that presented this opportunity.

The stick is a good idea if you know you're likely to make contact.

The gun is very loud and it isn't as easy as it sounds to hit an attacking dog. Sometimes they run straight for you, sometimes they don't. I met one mean ole b*stard that leapt like a mountain lion...

Was it HankB that mentioned ammonia? That's good advice, postmen agree.

Knife. If you've got the gonads for it. It's quiet, and will effectively do the deed, but you've got to let the dog get in close and this isn't always fun~ but it is exciting! -Dog will 9 times out of 10 go for your arm/hand. Stick out your arm and the dog will clamp on- yeah it hurts, don't be a *uss... knife with the free hand below the head (you don't want to stab yourself when your point clears) and wallah~ walk away.

Oh yeah, bring a change of clothes.