Deer tongue

5ptdeerhunter

I live in Michigan with the whitetails. With that scrumptious venison. One night after a long day of hunting we were all sitting around talking and wondered if you could eat deer tongue.

Would It be rubbery and chewy or soft and tender¿ Flavor or not¿
How would you prepare it¿ Boil, fry, or bake¿

Do you think it would taste like a beef tongue¿

Does anybody have any recipes or bad experiences that I should know about¿

Thank you ahead of time.

FivePt :p

rotani

Never had it, but I would guess it resembles beef tongue.

I've had "lengua" gorditas once before ("lengua" directly translating to "tongue", but in Mexican cuisine, generally refers to beef tongue) and the meat is very, very tender.

My next guess is that if you plan to remove it from harvested game, there are probably glands and sinewy tissue that you may need to clean away, esp. under the tongue before preparing it in a recipe.

deanf

I just finished reading Journey To The Polar Sea, Sir John Franklin's account of his 1819-1822 expedition to the Arctic regions of Northern Canada. Deer tongue was a regular part of the party's repast. No mention of how palatable it was, but they did eat it.

Cain R

Tongue is good! Boil it for about 3-4 hours, let it cool and peel it. Very mild, goes good with a spicey mustard in sandwiches. You can also boil it with cloves and pickling spices to give it a corned beef flavour, mmm tasty.:D