Deer Season is over,What Now?

Daryl

I'll still hunt coyotes for another couple of months, and the archery deer season runs 'till the end of January here in Az.

After that, it'll be time to go fishing, then maybe turkey season, and then I'll start preparing for next year.

I'll have a tent to clean up a bit, ammo to load, areas to scout...

;)

Daryl

fisherman66

Shoot, we still have the rest of this week and Sunday. I'm outta tags, but gunnin' for sum hogs while the rest of the boys chase bambi Fri/Sat/Sun. Tomorrow I'm doin' the Special Dove Season. After that another hog hunt mid January and then a final one mid February up in Caddo Grasslands. If I get hungry another hog hunt whenever the mood strikes. After that I chase the elusive big black bass. Gotta love Texas.

sserdlihc

Well the best time for me to scout is the 1st day after deer season ends. I usually put up new stands, repair old ones, and get to the range as much as possible.

shortwave

Or you could come up north and bow hunt till bout Feb. 3 . Bring clothes, gets pretty chilly sitting 20-30 ft. up in the stand. Going on a pheasnt hunt in a couple wks. then it`ll be scouting, turkey time and getting food plots ready. Wonder if I`ll have time to work:confused:.

THE GENERAL

We still have 3 more days East of Old Virginy!
I slayed 3 last weekend and plan to do some more freezer fillen!

KILL'EM ALL!

tyrajam

Well, to kill the time between deer season and Turkey season, you can hunt coyotes. Or just spend as much time with the wife as possable to try to bank up some good will for next hunting season!

If you want to try coyotes, I'll suggest the Johny Stewart Preymaster electric call (under 100$ at Cabelas) and your favorite deer rifle. Give em hell and help out your deer population!

bswiv

Those of us here in Florida need to be careful telling what we are going to be doing in January & February. Last thing we need is to stir up more YANKEES with the idea that they need to come here!!!!!

12GaugeShuggoth

I suppose I'll just keep practicing with the bow until next fall comes 'round. Put up a couple new stands, get ready to tend some plots. Now that it's the final week here all the hunt clubs are running their dogs non stop and ruining it for those of us who are trying to enjoy ourselves. I spent the last 2 days just out in the woods looking for late season signs, got another one with the bow a few days ago and that just about took the last little space up in the freezer.

I had been watching and tracking a big buck on our property for the last month or so, just hadn't gotten a chance for a clean shot yet. Not sure if it's the same one, but the dogs ran 2 huge bucks off our property and across another private tract over the past couple days. I know one of them got shot, not sure about the other. And it had been such a nice season too, hadn't heard barely any hounds all fall. Oh well, good times can't last forever.

ojibweindian

Alabama's season ends on 31 Jan. Next Friday and Saturday, my son and I will be sneaky-snakeying around NE Alabama trying to get another couple of deer :D

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
My gen-gun runs until mid feb...
Money has been so tight I haven't been able to by my license. I will have it tomorrow.
Brent

rem870hunter

deer in my zone runs to jan 31. some zones go to mid feb mostly north jersey. m/l came in full swing just before christmas. been doing that every other day. and a few times of shotgun for rabbit/squirrel too that goes into mid feb. i miss m/l hunting so i didn't buy my shotgun permit. i should hopefully get up north to deer hunt with mikenbarb within the next 1-2 weeks.

coyote special season (24 hrs hunting :D) comes in jan 19. so i'll be out during the night here and there looking to bag them. even found a few predator hunters in my area,can't wait to meet and hunt with them. after that i may woodchuck hunt.

then get ready for spring trout season,the pool season and saltwater fishing to begin.
range time is anytime.

and its time to buy another gun or 2.

Kreyzhorse

I'm done hunting till spring turkey..... after spring turkey, I do a lot of fishing until fall hunting season ramps back up.

rantingredneck

Our season ended today.

I ended the year with 4 deer to my record. 2 with the bow (8 point and doe), 1 with the muzzleloader (6 point), and one with the shotgun (doe).

I'll be taking stands down sometime over the next few weekends. While I'm out there I'll probably take the .22 along to whack a few squirrels for the freezer (ends Jan 31). I may try for late season dove (have to check dates but I believe the 15th).

Will probably try to kill a few coyotes before turkey season in April.

alloy

S/S shotgun season when the big guns are out of the woods...my favorite hunting. squirrel, rabbit, quail, pheasant.:)

JonnyReb

Hate to say it but i'm glad its over. This season i hunted 4 days out of 7 if not more. I have taken more "no smell" showers and bought more darned deer pee than the last 10 years put together. I hunted before work and worked 1/2 days to be back in the woods by 3. Every sat. and of course i've gotten nothing done around the house. The wife's been patient but...

I took some nice ones and it was all wonderful time well spent but now i'm going to focus on working a bit more, getting some projects completed and priming the wife for whats to come in 8 months:D

I'm looking forward to hunting things that can't smell me. Some squirrels are gonna pay for the corn they've eaten and the turkeys i've been watching are gonna be mine in a few months. Airgunning pests is a good pastime and of course theres scouting to do as well as new stands to be built and some food plots to be put in; Fishing will fill in inbetween. Gonna be busy till next deer season...J.R.