Deer Load With Speer Bullets 243 Cal.

lonewolf5348

I always used SP bullets flat base in my 30-06 (hornady 165 grain)
I wonder which will be more effective on deer in the 243 cal. speer 100 GR. SPR BTSP or SPR BRHP or
105 grain hot core SP flat base bullet???

patchy

I've loaded 87gr hornady bthp with 4350.We have taken several deer with this.Does a nice job on ground hogs in the summer.

GrumpyOldTex

It depends on the size of the deer you're shooting. To me the 85 gr. HP would be better for varmints. I would go with the 100 or 105 Gr. with the 105gr. being my choice in the speer brand. I couldn't get the 100 gr. boatail to shoot accurately in my rifle. In my long years of hunting I've taken probably close to 100 Deer. All but a few with a .243 shooting a 100 gr. Nosler solid base bullet. Most of them never took another step. The ones that did run, didn't go far. I have bought some 100 gr. hornadys I'm going to try. if they are acurate, i'll shoot some hogs with them since deer season is closed here. I'll let you know how they work.
Happy shooting
GOT

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I go with 100gr soft point loaded to the hilt. Whitetail deer are not hard to kill so power isn't the issue. I want flat shooting accuracy. Flat means fast, fast means high energy.

crowbeaner

I load the 90 grain Speer with IMR 4320, the 100 grain Hornady BTSP with IMR 7828, and the 100 grain Speer BTSP with IMR 4831 in the .243.