Deer hunt with "cowboy" gun???

Prof Young

Anyone ever deer hunt with their single action revolver? I've taken whitetail with my 44 mag. Lately I have been shooting a 45colt just for fun. Now I'm thinking if I get to be just a bit better shot with it . . . I could load some xtps and take a whitetail. Talk to me.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

grey.ghost

Yep. Never with a .45LC, but have enjoyed taking a few with my .41 and .44. Not big on bow hunting, so single action revolver hunting is my next best option.

SBH

I have taken Mule Deer with my Ruger Super Blackhawk. I own "only" single action revolvers. I guess it is the "cowboy" in me.

Hunter Customs

008-red-4-4-2015.jpg

That's all I deer hunt with anymore, used this one last year and plan on using it again this year.

I like cast bullets with a wide flat nose in 45 Colt caliber, mine are 270 grs moving right at 1100fps.

buck460XVR

I hunt deer not only with revolvers, but other so called "cowboy guns" as well, i.e., lever action carbines. I also hunt woodcock and grouse with a short-barreled, SxS, outside hammer Coach Gun. Cowboy guns are not just for shooting cowboys...........

Single action revolver no problem
When you say "cowboy" I imagine short patridge sights. I wouldn't feel comfortable hunting with them.

I don't hunt with any guns that have patridge sights.
Actually, I don't use guns with patridge sights for anything but plinking.

drive_sideways

If the 45 can handle +p rounds get some buffalo bore cast lead rounds, 1325 fps in a 325 grain cast lead bullet, 260 grain will shoot 1450 fps, both pack over 1200 ft lbs energy as well. Not cheap though, 50 rounds will cost u over $80.
What brand of revolver is it?

smee78

I havent had the chance yet but if they come close enough I will with out a dought use my 45 Blackhawk to take one. All my other deer have been dropped with a Marlin 336 lever gun so its not that big of a jump.

Hunter Customs

If the 45 can handle +p rounds get some buffalo bore cast lead rounds, 1325 fps in a 325 grain cast lead bullet, 260 grain will shoot 1450 fps, both pack over 1200 ft lbs energy as well.

Going by the writings of John Linebaugh that's way more power then you need from a 45 Colt cartridge.

He states in his writings about his wife taking 6 antelope and 5 mule deer using a 4-3/4 inch barrel revolver in 45 Colt caliber shooting a 260 gr cast bullet at 900 fps.

He also says that same load will shoot length ways through a antelope or mule deer at 100 yards.

buck460XVR

He states in his writings about his wife taking 6 antelope and 5 mule deer using a 4-3/4 inch barrel revolver in 45 Colt caliber shooting a 260 gr cast bullet at 900 fps.

He also says that same load will shoot length ways through a antelope or mule deer at 100 yards.

While I have always had my doubts about the lengthwise thru a mule deer thingy, the universal attraction to the .45Colt for hunting deer sized game has been it's ability to take them with a heavy bullet moving relatively slow.