Deep Concealment CCW Suggestions?

Tex44

My current CCW is a Bersa Thunder Pro UC in 9mm. It's a great little gun, but I do have some issues keeping it completely concealed. (I have a little extra padding on the sides :eek:). I think a slimmer gun might help that. As many of you probably know, Texas just made it a law that if you have a CCL, you can carry on university campuses now. I'm wanting something that I could easily keep concealed even with light clothing.

I was looking into something like a Bersa Thunder in .380, a Smith & Wesson 642, a Ruger LC9, or maybe a M&P bodyguard or shield. I'd like to keep it under $450 if possible. I'm kind of leaning towards the Bersa Thunder because I'm a bit of a sucker for a DA/SA, and I'm pretty familiar with them.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Targa

I think the options you mentioned are good, I really like the S&W J frames. I would add Kahr CW380/CM9, Springfield XDs, Glock 42/43 to the list to check out.

Last edited:

Glenn E. Meyer

Texas just made it a law that if you have a CCL, you can carry on university campuses now

Just for clarity, that is true only for public universities. The privates have banned carry. Also, each public will have some local rules that need to be checked out.

As far as carry - belt or pocket?

Tex44

I go to UT, so that's not an issue. ;)

As for the carry method, probably belt would be better. I carry too much junk in my pockets, and I don't think they're deep enough to completely conceal anything I listed anyways.

Also, another gun that I forgot about for some odd reason was the Beretta 84. It's pretty much the same size as the Bersa Thunder, but it's slightly thicker since it has a double stack mag. Those 13 rounds are pretty appealing, and I'd be lying if I said that gun wasn't gorgeous. :eek:

I'm kind of curious how well it would conceal under a thin shirt. I found a used one for $330.

AK103K

Ever tried a Smart Carry holster?

I regularly carry a Glock 26 in one. Very comfortable and more concealable than pretty much any other type of holster, especially for the size guns that can be carried in them.

www.smartcarry.com

tallball

Class of '86 here!

My LC9 is fairly concealable.

I prefer my hammerless 38.

For shorts and t-shirt weather micro 380's are the thing. Mine is a P3AT, but there are several others.

Hook 'em Horns! :)

lee n. field

I'm wanting something that I could easily keep concealed even with light clothing.

I was looking into something like a Bersa Thunder in .380, a Smith & Wesson 642, a Ruger LC9, or maybe a M&P bodyguard or shield. I'd like to keep it under $450 if possible. I'm kind of leaning towards the Bersa Thunder because I'm a bit of a sucker for a DA/SA, and I'm pretty familiar with them.

Pocket carry of a .38 snubby -- no one looks at your front pocket.

lee n. field

As for the carry method, probably belt would be better. I carry too much junk in my pockets,

I've had to change my habits (which bit goes in what pocket), to leave the front right pocket free for pocket carry.

and I don't think they're deep enough to completely conceal anything I listed anyways.

My pockets are large enough to carry a 642 with "combat" length grip (3 finger), or an XDS. You do have to find pants with big enough pockets (or have them modified).

adamBomb

LCP, bodyguard, keltec etc. get a small 380 or go snubby like the 642 if you want a revolver. Getting a small pocket pistol was the best firearm purchase I've ever made.

AK103K

Im tellin ya...... you could easily put that Bersa in a Smart Carry, and wear nothing more than a pair of shorts, no shirt, and no one would be the wiser. :)

No need to go "little". ;)

LCP--- "The gun you can carry when you can't carry a gun."
Naw. That would be a Seecamp. :)

V-fib

as AK103K said.

I've worn my smartcarry holster with my S&W 642 with just a swimsuit no shirt and nobody had a clue I was carrying. best deep concealment holster there is.

v-fib

turkeestalker

I'm a firm believer in the Kangaroo Carry. http://www.kangaroocarry.com/products/air-marshal3
I do however wear an 'A' style undershirt and a button up collared shirt over it.
When I go with shorts and a t-shirt, I use the Smart Carry or Thunderwear style holster and it does work very well.
With either holster, full size handguns are typically not an issue to conceal.
Smaller ones even better.

Tex44

I'll definitely look into that smart carry holster. How's the draw time on that? Is it pretty easy to get a grip on the gun?

AK103K

Draw time is pretty quick. Can be quite deceptive too, as it doesnt look like you have a gun, let alone are going for one.

Reholstering may take a little more effort, but its not bad either, once you get used to it.

dyl

I pocket carry a CM9 more these days than a J frame. Weight wise they are equivalent but they feel different in pocket. I can shoot the 642 better than the CM9 as the front site is wider on the CM9. I can reload the CM9 faster. However I usually don't carry a reload (I know I know, someday I will)

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Deep Cover/CC

Used proper DeSantis Nemesis holsters with proper CCW's for years with complete ,concealed,pocket protection.Think-Plan-Practice !!

Cosmodragoon

Sometimes, thinner really is better. Check out the Walther PPS. It's a good, thin, single-stack 9mm. It has three different magazine sizes with different grip extensions. The largest has full pinky support. The medium has a little pinky purchase. The smallest leaves your pinky hanging, but I think you have to buy that one separately. It's nice to have options when fitting "deep concealment" to different outfits.

Andy Blozinski

The Bersa Thunder is actually one of the bigger .380s, based on the PPK. The grip is wider than it needs to be to fit your hand better. There are two other versions of the Bersa Thunder you should consider. One is the newer "Concealed Carry" version. It has a narrower grip and a magazine that holds an extra round. The other is the Thunder Plus. It's a double stack. Since the standard model has an artificially wide grip, the Plus ends up being about the same width.

michael t

I carried a Bersa 9 IWB for a long time . Then gave to step son I never had a problem concealing IWB and at time I was 350lbs

Want to stay with Bersa then get the CC 380 or the small poly 9mm.
If you want to conceal and still get quickly then IWB is answer . I been carrying for many years . Pocket sucks if sitting down ankle worst
IWB works almost all pistol is concealed inside pants
Get a good leather holster IWB UBGholsters started too give Bersa owners a choice in holsters.