Decisons decisions decisions

warbirdlover

I've started a couple threads and decided I'd put it all in one for people to comment. swmbo has given me the green light to buy a new rifle with our tax return.

I'm not new to guns. Matter a fact I've built a couple up from barreled actions and stock blanks. I also am a decent shooter and from bench rest can usually squeeze everything out of a rifle. Formerly a machinist, manufacturing engineer and metallurgist so I understand what features, materials and manufacturing techniques should contribute to the best quality and accuracy. But so many gun makers have jumped on the accuracy bandwagon with very good arguments it's got me really confused. I need real life experiences to draw on and the bunch in here seems to be the best.

Savage has their slightly floating bolt lugs for perfectly even lug pressure, accustock, accutrigger, etc etc. Ugly gun IMHO.

T/C has their R5 rifling, target crown, adjustable trigger, MOA guarantee etc etc. Ugly guns IMHO.

Tikka and Sako are guaranteed to shoot MOA. Both are silky smooth actions.

Remington has the reputation of being excellent shooters with some occasional problems. At least I hear more of Remington problems then some others. So not sure if I could commit to buying a Remington. If there is a lemon out there I'm the one who usually buys it.... :(

I don't like the new Ruger Hawkeyes. I've handled them and not up to my 15 year old Mk II all-weather. No Ruger this time.

I love the new Model 70's but not sure how accurate they are. And they are a little pricier then others.

I've settled on the .270 WSM for the caliber. Don't know why. It's just sexy.

I thought Sako A7's were out of my price range but I'm find they're not. This is what I'm leaning towards.

Opinions please.

The A7 will shoot... But they sure are ugly and cheap looking... Anything with a molded plastic trigger guard is :barf: to me...

The savages will shoot well out of the box... Have you seen new models with the streamlined barrel nut and relocated bolt release???

Fat White Boy

I have a Model 70 in .270 Winchester that I bought at Walmart 8 years ago. All black with a 24" barrel. It shoots quarter sized groups at 100 yards with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 scope using Remington Corelokt 130gr ammo.

I also have a Remington 700VLS (26" bull barrel) in .308 with a Leupold VXII 3-9X40. I took off the laminated stock and put on a PSP stock. I hand load 168gr Barnes X bullets for it. The groups are almost as tight as the M70.

I would recommend either without hesitation.

ndking1126

If there is a lemon out there I'm the one who usually buys it....

Everyone makes lemons. If you like the Remington, buy it. Don't be afraid of getting a lemon. Of all the actual problems I've read about, they are usually on the newer cheap models. The BDLs CDLs, etc haven't been their problem children. I personally like the Remingtons and Savages. No experience with the others. Sako seems like it could be a great option though if you can afford it.

jmr40

First check to see which rifles are actually offered in 270 WSM. I have no problems with the round, but you are really limiting your choices in factory rifles. I don't think many of the choices you are considering are even offered in the 270 WSM. Even manufacturers who list them as avalible make very few and locating one may be difficult.

I don't have a Sako A-7, but think they are probably a great rifle. I won't try to talk you out of one.

ndking1126

I was looking at the SPS series. I like the black bolt. Dumb, I know.

To each his own.. I like the black bolt too! I seriously considered purchasing a SPS Varmint in .223 but elected to go with a Stevens 200 because I like to tinker. About a month later at Dicks they had a ridiculous deal on a scoped sps v in .22-250. $490 with a $50 mail in rebate from Remington. Ah, I was really wishing I still had that money. Then the next week they had the same deal on a different 700. Can't remember the model, but I remember it was bull barrelled was offered in .223 so I wished EVEN MORE that I still had the money. It's all good though, I'm thoroughly enjoying my Stevens so far.

crghss

Did you look at the Tikka? I would go with Savage but if your looking a Sako definitely look Tikka's. Also the .270 wsm will be expensive ammo. But to each his own.

warbirdlover

Had a Howa (liked it) so want something different. Tikka's were considered but don't like the small (semi-closed) action opening like on the Venture, Icon and Tikka (cold weather and gloves loading chamber). And I always wanted a Sako. Wished I could have afforded one years ago when they made the Finnbear and Forester. You can't find a decent one even on the bidding sights. Most are all beat to heck or way over priced.

Last edited: