Decisions, Decisions - Which revolver??

Yanus

Ok guys,
It's getting close to decision time. I'm
all set to buy a new revolver. I want either
a Taurus or Smith. I want either a 44spl or
44mag as I handload and cast my own bullets.
Here is your chance to praise one brand and/or bitch and complain. The piece has to
have maximum 4" barrel as I intend to carry
concealed at times. I want something that
will handle at least heavy 44spl handloads.
Le C'est Le Bon Temps Roulee!
(Let the good times roll!)

------------------
Never do an enemy a minor injury. Machiavelli
"Stay alive with a 45"

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I'd vote Smith&Wesson for large and medium frame revolvers. I like smaller Taurus guns but not their big handcannons (S&W have better triggers, a little snugger fit)

Yanus

Oleg,
How do you feel about Taurus 44spl snubs,
i.e. the M445 Titanium? I've heard that
the titanium snubies have lousy DA triggers.

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"

Jessica Wellman

Normally I wouldn't have much of a comment on revolvers, as I'm partial to automatics, but I shot the Taurus .44 Special yesterday for the first time. I'm seriously thinking of purchasing one. I enjoy target shooting and I get easily aggravated with small barreled revolvers when they are not on target. I try to keep in mind that these type revolvers are best when used in defense and not so much for accurate target shooting.

I had to eat those words a little after shooting the Taurus yesterday, not only for its accuracy but its light-weight and easy concealment factors.

Happy Shooting,
Jessica

------------------
Shooter's Enrichment NEW Forum Added!

loknload

I vote for the S&W. I have a 629 8/38 barrel.
Fantastic gun. S&W handsdown :)
Lets us know what you purchase

Happy Shooting :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

Yanus

I'll definitely inform my fellow pistoleros
what I purchase. I'm also looking at the
S&W M696 5 shot 44spl. It looks to be a good
compromise between a general target piece and
a concealed carry piece. It looks strong
enough to handle heavy handloads infrequently. I had considered a M629 44mag,
but the cost and the weight is prohibitive.
Anyone out there have any comments on the
M696?

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"

Ford

Dont go with a .44 Special (Yuck).If you think you might carry the gun concealed sometimes, then it seems to me that the gun that makes the most since is the Model 44 Taurus with a 3" barrel in .44 MAGNUM. You can also get a 4" barral if you want but I think a 3" is the shortest you can get. Also a S&W 629 comes in a 4" barrel and weights about the same as the :) wimpy :) 696 in .44 Special. But S&W does offer a .44 Special that is only like 19 ozs. Model 296 3" Barrel

Dave Williams

I've heard a pretty knowledgeable .44 guy say that the SW 696 will chamber .44 magnum cartridges. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

The 696 is what I'd go with, with the Triton 165 gr JHP.

Dave

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I feel that Taurus snubbies have better triggers than NEW S&W snubbies but worse than old S&W snubbies. My Taurus 85UL has different amount of spring compression in double action which leads to lighter trigger pull and lighter strikes (works with factory ammo but reloads with CCI primers are iffy). The SW49 I just sold had best DA trigger of any revolver I used. That said, all the new S&W airlights have nasty, gritty, heavy DA pulls and I'd go with Taurus.

That said, I find recoil of full-power 158gr 38spl in an alloy snubbie noticeable and would hate to practice with 44mag.

------------------
Oleg "cornered rat" Volk (JPFO,NRA)

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

[This message has been edited by Oleg Volk (edited March 01, 2000).]

Yanus

I wasn't aware Taurus made a 3" M44. That
may be an option. Also, I hadn't heard that
a M696 would chamber 44mag.

Dave,
Most of what I shoot in my Redhawk is a
mid-range handload of 10gr. Unique with
240gr. LSWC gas checks that I cast. I
read somewhere that a good 44spl load is
7.5 gr. Unique behind a 240gr LSWC. If
the M696 would chamber 44mag, you would have
to be careful and not use fullhouse 44mag
loads. I am also curious about this.

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"

Dave Williams

Yanus,

The 696 has some special quality about it that has made me want one since day one. I'm a big believer in big bullets as opposed to high capacity guns. I know the Triton 165 gr isn't the heaviest projectile weight, but it is a screamer, with a good bullet, the Ranier Funnel Point, and it expands aggressively. This would be my choice for defensive use in the 696.

I've said it before, but the 696 can be loaded with light plinking loads(240gr@650fps), defense loads(165gr@1100fps or 240gr@900fps)or bear defense loads(240gr@1200fps), just like any .44 special or magnum, BUT, it is in an extremely concealable package, the 3" round butt L-Frame. It's like no other gun. Why the hell don't I own one????

Dave

Ford

YANUS,

According to the new G&A Handgun Catalog:

Taurus Model 44 - Caliber .44 Magnum - Capacity 6 - Barrel Length 3,4,6 1/2,8 3/8 ins. with integral compensator. - Finish Blue or stainless - Sights Adjustable - Grips Black synthetic

Good Shooting

I'd go with S&W.

While externally the two guns appear alike, the S&W is a better designed handgun. It has a rebound slide which not only returns the trigger to its position of rest, but also serves to intercept the hammer's fall if the trigger isn't depressed. The step on the rebound slide bumps the seat of the hammer such that the hammer can't fall fully forward.

On the new Taurus, the rebound slide is replaced with a rod which pushes the trigger back to it's position of rest. It does nothing to intercept the hammer's fall.

Sure you pay more, but you get more with a S&W.

Yanus

I decided to get a M696. I think that it is
small enough to conceal well and yet not too
small to have a decent sight picture. It
also has adj. sights, another plus. Is there
any truth to the rumor that the M696 will
chamber 44mag? I would think that to be sloppy and potentially dangerous on Smith's
part. Any comments?

------------------
"Stay alive with a 45"

Richard

I have gone that short barreled route with 44 magnums and I can tell you I wouldn't go shorter than 4". The guys that opted for 44 magnums instead of 44 specials are demeaning a great cartridge. I have a Taurus 441 3" and I wouldn't trade it for a Smith and Wesson. I changed the grips, had the trigger size reduced, and a trigger job done to it. It now is as close to perfect as I can get. Regards, Richard.

Dave Williams

After reading a thread on the 696 over at www.gunspot.com, under the revolver forum, I'll have to retract a statement I made reference to the 696. It seems noted pistolsmith John Linebaugh shot the barrel OFF OF a 696 shooting "Keith" loads(240gr@1200fps). Evidently the design will not hold up to that level of load. Anything John Linebaugh says regarding revolvers must be listened to. 240@900fps or 165@1100 is still pretty good mojo though.
Sorry for the bad info.

Dave

DAVE MOON

I've got a Smith 29 6" that I had cut to 5". Handles much better and is about as concealable as an N frame can be. The 5" won't poke you in the ribs when seated. It's my "when I go huntin'" handgun, but it's concealed in town with the same flannel shirt that conceals a Glock 23 that I normally carry.

A 4" 29 or Mountain Gun may be your best bet, but recoil/blast in a 4" is quite a bit greater than a 5". They sure carry nice, though. The 5" just seems a nice compromise for me-ALMOST as easy shooting as a 6" and ALMOST as easy to carry as a 4".

My .02 w

lucky085

I have a model 85 ul ti and a 44 special ti. The new Taurus revolvers are lightweight and ported, so muzzle flip is easily controlled, which can make magnum loads unpleasant to shoot otherwise.

I am thinking about getting their SS 41 magnum tracker, if I can get it for less than $400.00. I would like the TI version, but I don't think it's out yet, and it will be quite expensive(probably around $550).