Decisions Decisions .... P220 or P226...

Which one would you recommend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kylen

I am contemplating which one to get.... very very hard choice. Price is of no concern here. But don't suggest any other type of gun unless it is a SIG P226 or P220...

My primary use would be a home defense gun. Secondly a gun I may decide to carry in a shoulder rig (I wear suits a lot) and last a range gun. Here are the 3 I am deciding on:

1. SIG P220 Platinum Elite .45 ACP
2. SIG P226 E² 9mm
3. SIG P226 Elite Dark 9mm

I like the Elites because of the beavertail and front cocking serrations... I like the E² because of the slimmer look. However I Love .45 ACP so much. Lol. Help me Please!

AustinTX

German-made P226 SL.

I think the beavertail on a Sig is an absolute abomination. But to each his own. What's the point? It's physically impossible to get hammer bite from a Sig P-series pistol.

danfive555

P220 Carry & P220 Carry Compact

I've checked out the P220 Carry Elite in DA/SA and P220 Carry SAO and both are 10/10--really perfect size, grip, trigger pulls.

Right now there is a shorter SAO version the Compact or Carry Compact--with a shorter grip, but the grip on the more common Carry is already very good.

All of these have beavertails, (there are smaller and full size beavertail, carry models are usually smaller).

Check out the P220, I believe this Sig handgun is the one with most options/variations.

LMFAO!!!!!! WOW Kylen....wow.......

You know where I voted, but you know my dilemma and why I voted that. But E2 and 220 are my babies...You know the story ;) lol

martygrant

For HD I absolutely dig my DE P220. Why throw BB's when you can hurl pumpkins? For CC I prefer high capacity subcompact 9's. Since you want a HD and a CC pistol better get an appropriate P226.

BarryLee

I have a P220 Elite Carry .45 so I voted for the .45 in your poll. I really love the gun I have and use it for carry, range and home defense. I have only had the gun for a short while, but it has performed very well with zero problems at the range. However, I also have my eye on the P226 Elite Dark so it would be hard to go wrong either way.

You did not mention what other guns you might own, so if one fills a caliber void in your collection you might lean that way. Also, as I am sure you know 9mm is generally cheaper to shoot.

DiCarnage

Loving this

It's so good to have a poll that I feel like weighing in on! Usually these things have one or two guns that I know or love, and a host that I know nothing about.
I voted for the E2 for a couple of reasons: In my opinion the P220 was the start of one of the best gun families ever, and I've been a long-time user/owner. The 226 is better than the 220 to me because I carried one for 5 years as an operator, I'm a sucker for a double-stack mag, and I don't necessarily feel that bigger is better when it comes to calibre.
I chose the E2 over the ED because I can't stand beaver tails, and they look ESPECIALLY stupid on that gorgeous Sig body.
That's my two cent, hope it helps!
~D!~

BigJimP

I'm a 1911 guy ...so the Sig 220 doesn't make it for me ...Wilson Combat 1911's on the other hand ...are some of the finest 1911's / and .45 acp's I've ever owned. But the 220's have their fans - and I'm not saying they're bad guns.

All of the 226 lineup of guns are fine guns ...and I don't know how you can pick a bad one. Personally I favor the all stainless versions in the .226 lineup like the current Elite Stainless. I have a pair of the older all stainless versions of the 226 - one in 9mm and one in .40S&W with DA/SA triggers - adn they're both very good guns. The triggers on the Sigs are not a 1911 finely tuned trigger -- but in Single Action, I'm effective enough with a 226 or even a 239 ...that carrying it is always an option for me...

I would go with one of the 226's ...but I can't really pick among the 2 models ...

Here are my 226's / I'm very happy with them both ( the gun with the wood grips is a 226 X-Five - its a different beast / way too heavy to carry / but a fun gun to have as well ).

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=68499&d=1300319305

kylen

+5 to proxpilot! I will check it out.

And thank you to everyone for the helpful info!

Constantine... I knew ya would like this poll. Lol.

hogwiley

Ive never fired a p220, but didnt care for the way the gun feels when Ive handled it. It seems like a single stack 45 should have a more comfortable grip and shorter trigger reach.

If I was going to get a p226 Id probably get a .40, as it seems like the perfect gun for this round.

As for the beavertail grip on some sigs, that does that serve any actual function other than to make it look 1911ish?

AK103K

Ive owned a number of P220's and P226's, as well as a few other models, and always felt the P226 was the more comfortable and shootable of the bunch. The only other P series SIG that is more comfortable, is the P250.

Personally, I think the beavertails screw them up, but hey, to each his own. They arent necessary, and just add to the guns size.

If you go with the P226 in .40 or 357SIG, you'll get a little more flexibly out of the gun, and with an after market barrel, even a third caliber. Still, you usually end up with the combo you like the best, and the other parts rarely get used.

GunByte

A funny thing happened on my way to pick up a Sig P229 SAS DAK. I also came home with a Sig P229 Elite Scorpion, Sig P220R and a Sig P290RS. They were all siting in the counter like little puppies begging for someone to take them home and love them. :)

After getting my ccw license last year and trying many of the popular carry guns out there (bought 24 handguns) I decided that after 40 years of shooting the new striker fired guns were not for me. I am very happy with my Sigs. The P290RS conceals like a dream and the weight does not bother me with my holster/belt combo. The Scorpion, my desk gun, is a pleasure to shoot at the range with its 1/10" short trigger reset. The SAS DAK has a great DA trigger that is on par with my well broken in trigger on my Scandium J-Frame and goes with me in high crime areas. My 220 has a Streamlight flashlight mounted to it and an extended 10 round magazine and sits in my night table draw. The extended mag balances out the extra weight of the light on the barrel.

As far as a 220 or a 226 I would say that it depends on how well you handle the recoil of a .45 versus a smaller caliber. When I take my Sig's to the range for friends to shoot, they all say the P220 felt the best to them over the smaller caliber Sigs they also tried. I must say that I do like the P220. This is my second one after stupidly selling my first one to buy polymer .45's, none of which lasted long after shooting them. A P226 is also a great gun but I prefer the shorter barreled P229 as all my guns are working guns and get carried at one time or another. The P220 is actually thinner than the P229's and easy to carry OWB with an untucked shirt.

willmc33

Sig Sauer P226 Navy. I love mine. Awesome pistol. Navy is no longer produced but from what I can tell the MK25 is the same gun. 9mm is cheaper for range duty and the P226 is as reliable as any auto loader can be. Accuracy in mine with Federal HST is outstanding.