Decisions, decisions - CZ 75B or S&W M66 SS 4" HELP!?!

Rockrivr1

Decisions, decisions - CZ 75B or S&W M66 SS 4" (Decision Made)

Ok, here's my dilema. I have $300. I was planning on picking up a S&W 357 Mag M66-1 w/ 4" bbl. It's SS and in excellent shape w/ box and papers. While at the shop I see a CZ 75B in 9mm w/ one 10 rnd mag, no box, no papers but in great shape. It's pre-ban as new ones are not legal in Mass.

The S&W is $295 while the CZ is $289. I "WISH" I had enough for both but I don't. I was looking to get the 357 Mag to round off my collection which include a 22LR, 38 Special, 9mm, 40S&W and 357 Sig. Then again, another 9mm couldn't hurt.

I'm getting one of them tomorrow. Damn if I know which though. I need help deciding. Which should I get???

Last edited:

Rob96

I would opt for the wheelgun. I was in a similar position. I had a CZ-75 that I sold for a profit, then bought a Ruger SP101 to go along with my Ruger KGP-141. I only used the CZ for the range, the SP101 is great for CCW and range trips. Plus I really love the 357 magnum.

Spackler

If I was in that situation, I would buy the Smith. I can get a new CZ-75B later for around $350-$370 (not in Mass., obviously). Pre-ban CZ mags are very reasonable as well. If you can't get a new CZ-75 in Mass., your decision is a little more difficult.

The Smith sounds like a very good deal to me. I'd jump on it.

Gino

I disagree. I you can only buy "preban" pistols in Mass. then I'd look at the CZ 75 REALLY hard. You may never get another chance to get one at this low of a price - meaning, you may never get to buy one again. And CZ 75 hicap mags are still pretty cheap. The S&W wheelguns will be around for a LONG time. Time to think of the future...

chaim

If I was in your situation (in Jan I will be, sales of new CZs won't be legal in MD anymore because they won't have a built in lock) I would get the CZ. You can't get a new CZ and used ones don't come around every day. There are many S&W 66s out there, you'll always find another and you can't say that about the CZ.

If you are uncertain about a CZ do a search on the semiauto board. Hard to beat the value. Very high quality and accurate semiauto for great prices.

Scarborough

Always favor the revolver. In your situation though I'd get that CZ. Besides those CZ 75's are nice guns. For a semi-auto that is. ;)

chaim

Funny how many people are saying to get the S&W first and the CZ later. If you read his post you will see that he is in Mass. In Mass new CZs cannot be sold because they aren't on the state's approved gun list. If he doesn't get the CZ now he has to wait until he next sees one on the used gun shelves. When was the last time you saw one for sale used? Now picture yourself in MA where the CZ owners know they'll not be able to replace the gun until and unless they move to another state.

Get the CZ now, it may be some time before you see another. When you finally do, who knows what they'll ask. S&Ws are all over the place (especially the M66), you'll always find a good used Smith somewhere.

Rockrivr1

Decision Made

Ok, I'm at the place last night and I have both the CZ and the S&W in front of me. I pick each up, I test each one, over and over and over again. I stare at each one for many minutes trying to figure which way to go. (Oh by the way, thanks everyone for posting. Final outcome though was pretty much split 50/50 on which to get)

Well, after what had to be close to a half hour I made up my mind. I am now the proad owner of a pristine SS S&W M66-1. Gotta say I have no regrets but I sure would of liked to bring home both. (Wife would of flipped though)

The S&W was just solid (If you know what I mean). Plus it looked awesome with the rosewood grips that were in perfect shape and had a high gloss shine to them.

I cannot wait to hit the range this weekend!!!!

Thanks again for your comments.
Troy

GeoJelly

Rockrivr1 - How about moving to Arizona? Very few firearms restrictions, no Kennedy's, no Barney Frank's. Great weather - if you have a good air-conditioner in your car. I lived there from 92-98 and really miss it. One last thing - tons of public land to shoot and hunt on. Good luck...