Deciding between two very different rifles

YosemiteSam357

For years I've been thinking that a Ruger #1 would be the ultimate target rifle. I like the looks of it, think the rolling block is a very cool action that has been relatively overlooked, and generally had my heart set on one for a long time. Then I forgot about it as I explored other aspects of the sport.

I started thinking about rifles again recently, and bolt guns in particular. I've been looking at Remington VLSs and PSSs, and just yesterday fell deeply in lust with a Savage 12BVSS (or even a 12VLP) with the AccuTrigger. While only $100 or so less than the others, these provide a heck of a lot of gun for the money. Some folks I've spoken with have said the Savage is the best off the shelf rifle available today (and no, they weren't factory reps, as far as I know... :))

The #1 appears to be more geared toward heavier calibers. For my gun I'm thinking .223, but possibly a .308. The gun would be used strictly for targets at 1, 2, 3, 600 yards, scoped accordingly.

So what does the collected wisdom of TFL think? Is the #1 worth considering in today's world, with the cartridge selection indicated above? Is the bolt gun a better idea for the use and money spent?

Thanks for all your input.

-- Sam

Last edited:

GreenDragon

I have the 12BVSS in .22-250. It shoots an inch all day long at 200 yards off of a rest. I have nothing bad whatsoever to say about it (unless I have to carry it more than 50 feet, ugh.)

rwilson452

12bv22 1 Moa?

Is that with factory ammo or tuned hand loads?

My Rem 700 VLS will do 1/2 moa all day long with several of my hand loads. Sometimes I can get it down to 1/4 MOA. One time I got .15 MOA alas it was the last of that lot of powder. the new powder wouldn't repeat the performance.

Kaboom

I'm working on the same thing. I have a Browning 1886 Hi-Wall in 7 rem mag. It shoots very well when I do my part. Thinking about a 12BVSS also. Mostly because of Sharpshooters Supply. Changing barrels and bolt faces are rather easy on a Savage. Head spacing is also simple. Sharpshooter barrels are all heavy varment contour Douglas to 27 inches. The posibilities are endless. The accutrigger is also very sweet for those of us who have always used what a rifle came with. Of course the common answer is get both. :D

rwilson452

12BVSS in .223

around here we have shoots that are limited to factory unmodified. trigger work is OK. factory barrel, stock etc. must be stock. the 12BVSS in the .223 shoots have been doing very well. The 6mm has been the overall winner. I haven't heard anything about the 12BVSS in any other caliber. I have been thinking hard about getting a 12FVSS for a varmint rifle. I want to see if it can beat my Remington. I enjoy working up new loads almost as much as hunting woodchucks. I haven't seen much in the way of songdogs around here.

YosemiteSam357

I'm now adding .243 into the mix, if that has any bearing on rifle selection. I want to be able to do some 600yd shots, I'm pretty sure .223 won't cut it, and .308 is just going to be too much recoil for me on a regular basis. (I'm a recoil wimp, I admit it - and yet I shoot trap with a 12 guage weekly! Go figure.)

Any #1 fans willing to speak up for their baby's honor? That stainless #1V looks pretty darn nice...

-- Sam

Smaug

Unless you're going to be hunting something bigger than coyote-sized, why would you want a larger caliber than 22? I vote for 22-250.

On the other hand, I believe 308 Win is one of the best calibers out there. If you get a heavy rifle with a good recoil pad, a 308 Win shouldn't be too bad. Especially if you handload, which you should. :cool: It will help your long range groups if you do your part on both benches.

I've heard that Savage barrels, though accurate, are roughly finished and are a bear to really get clean.

My next rifle is going to be a Tikka in 30-06. They are in the $450-700 range, and are said to be unrivaled in that range.

rwilson452

243?

the .223 is not really a good 600 yard gun. The 243 will give you a little more than the 22-250. It will buck the wind a bit better due to the heavier bullet. between the 22-250 and the 243 it really becomes a personal choice at the 600 yard mark. beyond that range I would suggest something in 6mm. This of course is my free personal opinion and worth every penny. :)

Kaboom

Just to add to the confusion a .260 remington should be just about perfect for recoil and great ballistics to 600 yards.

YosemiteSam357

So the .243 will provide reasonable accuracy at 600 yards?

I'm not after game, so "stopping power" at that range isn't an issue for me (re: the coyote comment).

Can I download a .308 to .243 pressures/recoil level, and still maintain some level of accuracy?

The Tikka looks good, and I do like it's ancensty (I'd buy a Sako in a second if I could find one). Thanks for adding to the confusion... (Just kidding, I do appreciate the idea.)

'Scuse me while my head explodes trying to absorb all the data I've been collecting... :)

-- Sam

Jick42

Yosemite, i have a Ruger #1 in 25-06 that is NIB. Never shot. Bought it on closeout and just have never gotten around to shooting it. Asking $450.00.
nick@misn.com is my email if you or anyone else is interested.