Decent 357 Single Actions?

defjon

What is my best bet for an inexpensive but quality 357 (largely for 38 target/wadcutter ammo)? Gander had some Uberti type for about 350..

Jim March

Call CDNN:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/dowournewcat.html

They have Ruger 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawks for about $360ish...a screamin' good deal. It's basically the same gun as the New Vaquero but with adjustable sights. With shipping and FFL fees you should come out under $400.

On the Ruger site you'll find a 44Spl Blackhawk. That's the exact same gun as the 50th 357 but in another caliber of course.

All of the 50th 357s are blued (across the whole gun) and with 4.68" barrels. These are Ruger's "mid-frame" size very similar to a Colt SAA.

I kid you not: that's the single best deal on an SA 357.

ProjectCamaro

I have to agree with Jim. I was looking for a good single action 44 mag and after doing a lot of research on the firearms and who to buy them from I ended up buying the 50th anny version from CDNN. With shipping it cost $389.00, I dare you to try to find anywhere else to compete with that price.

Jim March

Yeah. Remember, there's two versions of the 50th Anniversary Blackhawk: 44Mag is built on the big frame (and has a longer barrel), 357 is built on the mid-frame and has the 4.68" tube. The latter is a very handy carry gun. Both are good guns and screamin' deals depending on what you want.

Disclosure: my daily carry gun is a Ruger New Vaquero in 357, 4.68" barrel, basically the same gun as the 50th 357 except fixed sights. Back in 2005 when I bought the NewVaq, the 50th 357 was very hard to get. If it had been available I'd have grabbed that even if I had to pay $50-$100 premium. But at present, the 50th 357 is a lot CHEAPER than the New Vaquero.

Damn.

Oh well :). I ended up modding the sights on my NewVaq to an unbelievable degree :D.

But that's another story.

Stainz

As far as the trigger is concerned, the best SA trigger on a .357 magnum available today is on a S&W! Of course, they are DA capable, too - so they go 'bang' when you just squeeze them as well. In a dedicated SA - out of the box - the Colt Model P clones - like the Uberti - are quite nice. The Rugers aren't far behind, if you get a good one. A clone of the 1875 Remington, like Uberti's, would be last place - to me. Just uncomfortable, again, to me - too large!

If you can restrict yourself to .38 Special +P max, consider a trade-in S&W model 64, although most are DAO from J&G Sales or Bud's Gun Shop - from $200-$300+. Some also carry model 67's, simply a 64 with an adjustable sight. See what they have that is not DAO, if SA shooting is important to you. the 64/67 family is normally SA or DA - some security guard companies have had them altered to DAO. You can plink away with .38's and protect yourself with +P's - all you need!

Stainz

treg

I kid you not: that's the single best deal on an SA 357.

+1 - He ain't kidding, you get a lot of gun for the money. Well worth the extra $. Read up on the Anniversary model.

rep1954

I have to agree with the 357 Anniversary as being the best way to go for the money but if the bug is for a Single Action Army style gun then a New Vaquero with a 4 5/8" barrel is worth spending the extra money over the Italian jobs. Now you can get the New Vaquero in stainless or all blue. No more fake color case hardning unless you buy used.

CraigC

I also agree with Jim, while they are a bit heavy, the 50th anniversary .357 Blackhawk is one of the best single actions produced in the caliber available. Though I still prefer Old Models.

Jeff H

Love my Blackhawk. It is in stainless with a 6-1/2" barrel and is mid 1980s vintage.

Those fire breathing loads that sting your hand in a GP 100, not to mention a snubbie :eek::eek: the Blackhawk takes with stride.

brotus2

I have a Stainless New Model Blackhawk (1976) in 357, 7 1/2 ". After 34 years of shooting it still looks and shoots the same - great. From a rest, it makes some very nice groups at 100 yards. It's an anvil, though.

roaddog28

No question. Ruger Blackhawk in their many different models. You can't go wrong. Just have to find the Blackhawk you like.

Good luck,
roadddog28

Hoss Fly

None my beeswax but why a SA when you have get a good DA in about the same price range :confused:
If your looking for Cowboy looks go Uberti or Ruger Vaquero-

Blackhawks are GREAT guns but butt ugly IMHO :rolleyes:

Jekyll

Listen to Jim. I have the 50th .357 and .44 mag as well as the .44 special Lipsy. FANTASTIC guns. I must say the .44 special is my favorite of the 3 and my favorite handgun of all.

My wife loves my .357 and wants one of her own.

Win73

I have three Ruger single actions, a .45 convertible Blackhawk, a 10 mm auto/.38-40 convertible Blackhawk, and a .22/.22 mag convertible Single Six. I see no reason to buy any other brand.

bamaranger

b-hawk

You cannot go wrong w/ a Ruger Blackhawk. Plentiful, tough as nails,options w/ bbl length and blued or stainless. Some looking should produce a used one at a price you like. Go w/ the b-hawk as opposed to the cowboy Vacquero so as to have adjustable sights and put your mild ammo "on".

As long as you don't abuse it, you will never wear it out, it will always work, and your kids will shoot it long after you're gone.

rodfac

The Ruger 50th Anniversary Flat Tops can be had for less than $400 if you shop around. Great revolver and not one you'd be likely to trade off for something better. Mine and my son's will shoot 1200 fps handloaded 125's into sub 2" gps at 25 yds. Save your money and get a good one, American made...
JMHO, Rodfac