Debating on a new concealed carry

Georgian

Hey yall. I've been throwing around the idea of getting a new concealed carry gun for awhile now. My current carry gun is an M&P9 2.0 subcompact, which has been awesome for me and the wife. My only reason for considering a new carry gun is due to the wife loving the M&P subcompact so much that she wants to carry it instead of her S&W 642. She has a hard time shooting it well due to the DAO trigger. So, I could get a M&P subcompact just for her, or trade in the 642 on another carry piece for myself.

I have been intrigued and excited about the Springfield Hellcat now for awhile, and have handled them several times. They feel good in my hands, and I love all the features, including the sights. My only reservation is how much smaller it is over my M&P in addition to most of what I have read about the Hellcat mentions it is snappier than the P365. I thought my M&P would have been snappy, but it shoots relatively flat. Another pro for just getting the wife her own M&P is that I already have an ample supply of magazines. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

TunnelRat

Personally I’d get another of what you already know you like, though I get wanting to try new things.

Is there anywhere local you could rent a Hellcat to try it first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44caliberkid

Or have her try a S&W Shield 9mm. Familiar as your M&P, but thinner grip, slightly smaller, same sight picture. I sure like mine.

Forte S+W

If you like the M&P Series then wouldn't it make more sense to get an M&P9 Shield PLUS over a Springfield Armory Hellcat?

Georgian

I handled a Shield plus in my local shop along with a Hellcat. To me the Hellcat just felt better along with better sights and trigger.

eflyguy

Then give her the M&P and get a Hellcat for yourself.

I've got my daughter's Shield and my G43, they are equal in every way for us - other than the thumb safety on the Shield, which is why I bought it for her.

mpolk

I handled a Shield plus in my local shop along with a Hellcat. To me the Hellcat just felt better along with better sights and trigger.
I have both and either one is a great choice. The slide on the Shield is much easier to rack for me due to better slide cuts. The hellcat has really shallow cuts (arthritis). Which ever you get, your wife will really like and the process will start all over again..I would keep the revolver also. JMHO

Georgian

Well, I have decided that I can not part with my M&P. I sold a Ruger P95 and Sccy CPX-2 on consignment and told the wife she would be getting her very own M&P subcompact. After mulling it over long and hard, I just can not justify switching to another handgun that I will have to learn all over again. I am comfortable, accurate, and competent with my M&P's, already have all the necessary magazines and accessories. I will also be keeping the 642.....can't have too many Smitty Wessons....lol. Thanks for the input fellas!

MJ45

Shield Plus is an awesome pistol. the trigger is one of the best out of the box i have ever tried. soft shooter for it's size too...

Start here https://www.genitron.com/Compare-Handguns
and here https://www.handgunhero.com/

Shoot as many as you can. They all have their uniqueness, different triggers etc. What one person prefers in a trigger may NOT be what you prefer. And do not think just because it shoot a few extra rounds makes it the best shooter.
The Hellcat is a nice gun and will disagree with that it is snappier than the 365. If just a new model she wants, I would wait and try the new Taurus GX4. A whole lot of great features and a lower cost.

claydoctor

By M&P subcompact, does the OP mean a Shield? The Shield fits my hand like it was made for it. I have it in all three calibers and have gifted two more to relatives. Neither the P365 nor the Hellcat work for me. Same is true of the Glock 43. The Sig pinches my finger. The new Shield plus is a wonderful improvement. S&W continues to defy the laws of nature. It has an amazing lack of recoil even in .45 and now they have managed to put 13 rounds into a space that formally held only 7. I recommend the Performance Center version. For roughly $100 you get fibreoptic sights, which would cost you over $100 to add aftermarket as well as a great trigger that rivals that of a good 1911 trigger. If the Shield Plus doesn't get Pistol of The Year, someone's not paying attention.

By M&P subcompact, does the OP mean a Shield? The Shield fits my hand like it was made for it. I have it in all three calibers and have gifted two more to relatives. Neither the P365 nor the Hellcat work for me. Same is true of the Glock 43. The Sig pinches my finger. The new Shield plus is a wonderful improvement. S&W continues to defy the laws of nature. It has an amazing lack of recoil even in .45 and now they have managed to put 13 rounds into a space that formally held only 7. I recommend the Performance Center version. For roughly $100 you get fibreoptic sights, which would cost you over $100 to add aftermarket as well as a great trigger that rivals that of a good 1911 trigger. If the Shield Plus doesn't get Pistol of The Year, someone's not paying attention.

Pistol of year by whom? People do pay attention and I do not see that because a particular source chooses any firearm for Gun Of the Year, means it is the best gun. Really comes down to matter of opinion. And that only means new guns, not guns previously made.
I personally agree with Tunnel Rat. " I’d get another of what you already know you like, though I get wanting to try new things."
A Proven gun for me, is one that I have put thousands of rounds down range, fits like a glove and totally reliable.
I own many guns, but stick with the proven winners for my EDC. A lot of time and ammo already spent and a lot of the same finding the Perfect gun for me alone and not for someone else. And in today's ammo shortage market, that is going to be tough to do.
I have no intention of buying any new gun now. Just do not want to go through my ammo reserves to just break in a gun. And by break in, I do not mean just seeing how well it shoots with a few boxes of ammo. It means becoming ONE with the GUN.
Cost of a new gun, more magazines, holsters and on and on adds up quickly. And for myself, I have yet to see one match the guns I already EDC and I have tried and tested many.
Maybe in a different time in the future, I may EDC something else. But that is looking like a very small chance. The grass may be greener on the other side as they say, but maybe not.

Last edited:

eflyguy

Pistol of year by who?

Exactly.

My daughter and I have drastically different hands and yet find our G26, G43, and Shield to be perfect for us. We regularly practice drills with all three laid out side-by-side. (We have larger pistols for USPSA)

I think people nit-picking the differences need to learn to adapt to their weapons, but what do I know..

Kurbsky

When I just exercise outside or go shopping, I take I carry my Bersa COMBAT .380. I kind of despise it as a pistol but it may be perfect for the purpose.

alancac98

I recently purchased a SCCY CPX-2RD. I got it off gunbroker for $329. They range from $300ish to about $379 all depending on the color configuration. I can tell you that they shoot fantastic for a single action trigger pull. Yes, the trigger is long and heavy, but I put a group together from it that was superior to the groups of my wife's M&P Shield with Crimson Trace laser or my Springfield XDS .45 that I have had for many years. It just fits in the hand so well! I am currently ordering a trigger kit that should lighten the trigger pull by half and shorten the pull of the trigger as well. Currently, the recoil after shot feels better than than the Shield and comes back on target faster as well. The Red Dot that sits on top is made specifically for the gun from Crimson Trace and seems very sturdy. It adjusts to the light situation automatically to allow the shooter to just aim and shoot with a dot bright enough in any situation to be seen easily, even on a bright sunny day. I has been my everyday carry now for the last 3 months and I have to say, I love carrying it. It is compact and light. I'm not a big guy (5'8" and 155 lbs) and it tucks into my side very well making it easy to conceal. I use a versacarry holster and it is very comfortable, even after a 16 hour day of carrying! For $329, where are you going to find a 9mm with a red dot on top that is as small as the Hellcat, actually lighter than the Hellcat, holds just 2 fewer rounds than the Hellcat, yet costs $200 less than the standard Hellcat without the RD sight! Seriously, this thing is a shooter!

RWNine

I own a Sig P238, 365, Shield 1.0 and 9C, and...........
In the right holster, the 9C disappears and is comfortable to carry. In spite of the temptation to ‘upgrade’ to the Plus, I can’t do it. After replacing the sights and installing an Apex trigger and D/C springs it’s a fantastic pistol. The Subcompact seems to be perfectly fine as is.
Still, manufacturers have to introduce new products to keep it going.

jetinteriorguy

I recently purchased a SCCY CPX-2RD. I got it off gunbroker for $329. They range from $300ish to about $379 all depending on the color configuration. I can tell you that they shoot fantastic for a single action trigger pull. Yes, the trigger is long and heavy, but I put a group together from it that was superior to the groups of my wife's M&P Shield with Crimson Trace laser or my Springfield XDS .45 that I have had for many years. It just fits in the hand so well! I am currently ordering a trigger kit that should lighten the trigger pull by half and shorten the pull of the trigger as well. Currently, the recoil after shot feels better than than the Shield and comes back on target faster as well. The Red Dot that sits on top is made specifically for the gun from Crimson Trace and seems very sturdy. It adjusts to the light situation automatically to allow the shooter to just aim and shoot with a dot bright enough in any situation to be seen easily, even on a bright sunny day. I has been my everyday carry now for the last 3 months and I have to say, I love carrying it. It is compact and light. I'm not a big guy (5'8" and 155 lbs) and it tucks into my side very well making it easy to conceal. I use a versacarry holster and it is very comfortable, even after a 16 hour day of carrying! For $329, where are you going to find a 9mm with a red dot on top that is as small as the Hellcat, actually lighter than the Hellcat, holds just 2 fewer rounds than the Hellcat, yet costs $200 less than the standard Hellcat without the RD sight! Seriously, this thing is a shooter!
SCCY pistols are all double action only DAO, not single action only SAO. I’ve always wanted to try one being an old revolver DA kind of guy.