Death Of The Ruger P345

Single Six

I see that Ruger has now dropped the P345 from their lineup. I would guess that this is in deference to the SR series, which I personally am not a fan of. I was mad enough when they dropped the bulky-but-reliable P-90, and now they go and pull this. So, I guess that now I'll need to go find another one to keep as a spare...before the current supply of NIB P345s dries up. Any other P series fans not happy about this?

Silent Bob

Not particularly, I was upset when they first dropped the P-97 (a P-97 was the second handgun I ever bought) and especially later with the P-90, but the P345 always struck me as kind of a "PC'ed" Ruger P-97.

Auto426

They were decent guns, but I doubt they sold enough to justify a production run in Ruger's extremely busy factory. That and Ruger seems to thrive on constantly shaking up their product offerings.

spacecoast

I wouldn't say I'm upset about it, but I really like my P345. It and my P95 can both use the same Fobus holster.

Leejack

Yep, the P95 is the last of the oldie but goodies.

I look at it this way; as much as many of us loved the P series, they were big and clunky and hammer fired. The P95 is still selling well.

People flocked to Glock, XD and M&P, so Ruger developed the SR series.

For the record, I loved the P90.

USMCGrunt

I looked at buying a new P345 or a used P90 a few years ago. I opted for the P90 mainy because I wasn't too keen on the lawyer features of the 345. I didn't mind the loaded chamber indicator but wasn't too crazy about the magazine safety. I also thought the decodking lever on the P90 was far easier to work with than the flat dedcocking lever on the P345. I can understand loyalties and our wishes that they didn't quit making our favorite firearms, hell, I wish that the Star BM series was still being made or at least spare parts easier to come by (great little gun BTW) but for me, the passing of the P345 just isn't one I see myself missing.

wild cat mccane

I speak with the majority (proven by Ruger dropping) that their past autos had absolutely no appeal today nor were they soldin a vacuum. Far too many other (better) choices out there than Ruger's old autos.

About time.:D

ClydeFrog

Ruger P series; SR models....

Time moves forward.
My good friend in western PA owns a Ruger P-97(DA/SA) & a P-89 9x19mm.
Both semi auto models have worked well for him. I considered buying a P-97 DAO .45acp in the late 1990s but let it slide.
The SR line has proven successful to Ruger overall. They won a few shooting sports industry awards and the models have good features.
I never really saw a real need for the P90 .45acp or the P345.
I know the stainless Rugers were popular with action stars in True Lies & Desperado; www.imfdb.org .

Clyde

BlueTrain

I rather liked my P345 but not enough to keep me from trading it away one day. Of course, that was true of almost everything else I ever owned, gun-wise. I don't really understand people's dislike of things like loaded chamber indicator (although you can just look down the barrel instead), magazine safety and stuff like that. However, the P345 was not the ultimate handgun, even if it was still a nice gun. For one thing, it had a surprising number of springs, compared to other handguns. It may have been considered relatively complicated and expense to manufacture, although that does not necessarily translate into any bad faults in performance.

Ruger doesn't make guns for which there is a real need but rather for which there is a real market. That's probably why there's no No. 3 single shot in their lineup anymore, although for the life of me, I wonder why they decided to make some No. 1 rifles in .303 British. I guess the reason is because someone like me would buy one, if only I had the money.

Single Six

Wild cat: "Better choices" is a matter of opinion. What's best for one person is not necessarily the same for someone else, majorities aside. For instance, lots of people love Sigs; but I have found Sigs to be unreliable, and unworthy of staking my life on. I have found the Ruger P series pistols to be the exact opposite...completely reliable, and tough as nails. To each their own.

Single Six

Clydefrog: I personally just can't warm up to the SR series. I find their manual safeties to be awkwardly placed [for me], and harder to manipulate than those on the P series. I recall that Massad Ayoob said much the same in one of his articles.

bird_dog

My P345 is by far my most accurate and reliable carry gun.

I'm not sad that they're not going to make them anymore, but I'm not going to give you mine, either....

zukiphile

I have sympathy for those who dislike the magazine safety in the 345.

I have ample affection for mine for three reasons:

1. Out of the box, I can print 2 inch groups at 50 feet.

2. The grip fits me in much the same way a 1911 does. This may have something to do with the result in 1.

3. A bit of gentle polishing to the sear provides a good, almost Sig-like, trigger.

I considered it an excellent value. It seemed not produced to as high a standard as a Sig, but was half the price. The changes I would like to have seen that would have made this an outstanding value include:

– 5 inch and 6 inch slide and barrel options.
– Deletion of the magazine safety.
– A frame mounted safety.
- Adjustible sights.

chrisp51

The P345 is still the gun I keep in my night stand. To me it fills most of the requirements for a home defense handgun. It is safe, accurate, easy to handle ( have medium/small hands) and it has worked every time I have fired it. I hate to see it go but maybe I will fall for the SR-45.

zukiphile

It is possible that the SR 45 is a brilliant design. I have never held one, but it strikes me as derivative of a Glock. That isn't bad; aspects of the Glock design are also brilliant, but Glock already makes that.

I like the diversity that Ruger provides; I think the P 95 is an excellent 9mm and an extraordinary value. I don't deny that the people at Ruger out their business, but I would not like to see them walk away from their distinct advantages.