Death of an AR pistol

stagpanther

One pistol already converted--this is the next project, my 300 BO pistol which is being converted into a 223 Wylde rifle. Picked up the Satern 20" barrel yesterday--my first go with one of their barrels--and must say from examining the bore I'm extremely impressed. For a button rifled bore the inside was finished outstandingly well; comparable to the very best of custom barrels I've ordered, immaculately clean and polished. About the only thing that gives me slight pause for thought is the muzzle crown ends in a sharp 90 degree edge with no radius/bevel, but is also absolutely free of any irregularities as well. I guess I have to decide whether or not to bevel it, or maybe just wait until I finally nick it, which I'm sure I'll do eventually.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8883.jpg
    IMG_8883.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 421

stagpanther

That just looks like an upper to me. No receiver/firearm
Looks like it will be a nice build. Keep us posted.
Ah--I know where you're headed with this.:) If you search this forum you''ll eventually find the post I did when I originally built the pistol--I was careful to document the "born on" date of the original receiver and barrel prior to its first incarnation as a pistol. Here's a quick insert of the barrel into the original receivers.

attachment.php

Awaiting arrival of handguard, block, tube and brake for final assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_8884.jpg
    IMG_8884.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 398

rickyrick

I’ve thought about taking my 300bo pistol and converting it to a rifle of some caliber.

It’s one of my favorites, but I feel that the legality of AR pistols will be in jeopardy one day and I’m not interested in a tax stamp.

stagpanther

It’s one of my favorites, but I feel that the legality of AR pistols will be in jeopardy one day and I’m not interested in a tax stamp.
One day? already are. ;) I felt the same way, and it doesn't break my heart to try some new things out.:D

stagpanther

As it turns out, I have a redundant 224 valk build that has a better trigger on it (a very nice Hiperfire)--so the original pistol receiver goes over to it and the better trigger comes over. The other parts still haven't shipped yet and may take a while.

attachment.php

I'm wondering what to do with the pistol-length barrels I have after converting to rifles--does mere possession of them constitute "intent" considering I have many ARs and parts?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_8885.jpg
    IMG_8885.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

rickyrick

I have a 5.56 barrel just sitting in the parts box from another pistol upper that I converted to a carbine. I figured I’m ok due to having a pistol lower still.

If I get out of the pistol game, I might sell the barrels, or simply render them unusable.

I don’t have a clue a tThe legality of simply possessing a barrel with no pistol lower available, I was advised that it’s not a good idea to have a short barrel without a pistol/SBR lower for it to be used on… I’ve heard different things.

P Flados

Ending up with a less than 16" AR barrel, an AR rifle and with no "pistol legal" lower is a combination to be avoided.

If you have any AR lowers that were not rifles at the time of purchase, you can still call it a pistol lower even if you have it assembled as a rifle.

I have several AR guns and a good bit of AR parts. I recently tried out an ATF compliant 10.5" 300 BO pistol (brace removed) and was less than thrilled. I still do not know if I will keep it that way. If not, I will probably sell all my less than 16" AR barrels for a very low price ($10 each ?) plus shipping.

imashooter

Just a sign of the times I guess. Too bad seeing American citizens capitulate to those who desire to have an unarmed population.

stagpanther

"death of an AR pistol" also means in the larger sense the category will take a big hit based on the new ruling--I certainly don't see a future for it in my collection.

Jim Watson

Right.
I am kind of like Ross Seyfried, when Contenders were mentioned as hunting pistols.
He said he didn't consider it a pistol unless it carried in a conventional holster.

stagpanther

I wasn't expecting the parts for at least 10 days--and in they came this morning! Go figure. Trying out a couple of new things--KVP adjustable block, which features a same screw head for all adjustment screws including a screw-in gas tube pin (who'd a thunk it?) and a fortis muzzle brake. The buffer is also a lightweight piston design.

attachment.php

I went out for a quick function test and scope zero--unfortunately it's blowing 30 mph so I figured I'd be wasting my handloads.

attachment.php

With all due (im)modesty, I must say the gun shoots like a dream, sweet as can be.:D After getting reasonably close with federal 5.56 bulk ammo and cleaning I couldn't help but fire off one group of my lower-powered handloads @ 109 yds despite the washing machine winds. Except for the first shot this would have been a pretty decent group--I'm really excited about the potential.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8896.jpg
    IMG_8896.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_8897.jpg
    IMG_8897.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_8898.jpg
    IMG_8898.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 229

stagpanther

Well, this thread has veered a bit sideways, but since I'm the OP I approve.:D

Got to finally test fire the American Bullet 77 gr TMK's out of my Fulton Armory 20" chrome-lined 5.56 barrel build this morning before winds got too strong. just for the fun of it, I stretched the distance out to 220 yds. since nobody was working the pit.

attachment.php

I did a few test groups of American Bullet's 77 gr TMKs using Ramshot Tac and seated to a COL of 2.429 meaning I single-shot them. I did not bother sorting and uniforming the brass--it was just a hodgepodge of old stuff accumulated over the years--probably should have since the 3 groups I did showed wild fluctuations in both extreme deviations and standard deviations.

This is the best of them loaded to 24.5 grs., except for the flier way below this really had me going as an exceptional group. It's probably a fluke (even this group had an ES of 50+ fps and an SD of 22), but I'll retest it anyway and do a better job with the brass prep.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_8921.jpg
    IMG_8921.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 5.56 FA 220 yds 24.5 Ram Tac 77 Amer Bul TMK 2.429.jpg
    5.56 FA 220 yds 24.5 Ram Tac 77 Amer Bul TMK 2.429.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 155

stagpanther

Well--as much as I want to believe in unicorns and mermaids--two subsequent testings of the same load at 180 yds netted me around MOA--nothing even remotely as good as the group above. Really dashed my expectations, and kinda gives backup to the idea even 5 shots really aren't enough.:(

Shadow9mm

Hornady is reccomending something like 20 shots now just to zero a gun. I have found 20 shots to be much better predictions of what the gun will do consistently.