Dealing down gun dealers

Action_Can_Do

My question is, can it be done? I have never felt the need, as my favorite store has always done right by me. I recently saw a used GP100 at a store I don't generally patronize for $30 more than the brand new one at my usual place. It made me wonder just how the final price is determined and how likely one is to be able to get a lower price.

croyance

It never hurts to ask, but if they come down enough you should buy. Otherwise you are just jerking people around. Likewise, if they don't come down enough, you should be prepared to walk away.
Everybody has different buisness expenses and they probably get different discounts from their distributor based on the volume they sell. That is why big box stores can have lower prices on inventory and why individually owned stores form buying co-ops.
If a store does good volume, they can sell at a lower profit margin and still make more total dollars at the end of the year. Some are also better at selling the secondary stuff where the money really is or run a tighter ship, allowing lower prices.

guntotin_fool

All they can do is say no.

I always make offers. Some dealers I go to are very willing to entertain offers particularly at odd times of the year. Deer rifles are slow sellers in jan and feb, so ask.

I also always make sure if I really see something I really want to have the CASH to buy it. green money. makes it real hard for a dealer to say no when you say I will give you three benjamins for that gun and lay them on the counter....

38splfan

Depends on the store.

If it is a small store and their price is not much higher than others, I have been known to pay the difference just to keep the little guy in business. If, however it is a large regional/ national store or the price is blatantly high, I just shop somewhere else. I try to only haggle as a last resort.

Most guys I shop price right around the factory MSRP anyway, so even if the shave a bit off they still make a profit.

TooTall

It may have been that the "used" firearm was a "consignment" sale, which often end up with high "asking prices". The owner wants what he paid for the firearm, and the gun dealer wants a few bucks for his troubles. The problem is that the firearm hadn't "appreciated" in value, and wasn't willing to sell it for a loss. There are a lot of people who buy new firearms, but after taking possession of them, they change their minds. That new firearm is suddenly a "used" firearm, even if it was never fired.

Sometimes, you can find great deals on "used" firearms that are actually never-fired "new". For instance, during "civil disturbances", a lot of people buy firearms for "just in case", but never get fired. When their "normal" disdain for firearms returns, after the "civil disturbance" has been quelled, they'll seek out buyers...and are usually quite willing to take a LOSS on what the cost to them had been.

One of my buddies was practically "forced" to buy a never-fired "used" Mini-14 rifle, several extra magazines and 2,000 rounds of .223 ammo. The seller wanted to "get rid" of it after the "Rodney King riot" had ended. The price? $200! The buyer (my friend) didn't WANT the rifle, just the ammo! He gave the seller the option of buying back the rifle and extra mags for $200, if he ever felt the "need" to have a firearm. The ammo, however, was NOT a part of the offer/option, though! In essence, my buddy got the ammo for FREE!

Blammer

Cash will get the asking price down FAST...

In a Pawn shop - my favorite bargening ploy is to wait till they are doing the paperwork on a pawn & they are watching cash go out the door = Wave currency at them at this time & you'd be surprised at the reductions they'll go for:D

TexasCop

I always ask unless it's a "great price" that I know I'm getting a good deal no matter how much he makes on it.

candr44

I wonder how some gun shops come up with their prices also. I always ask for their best price and sometimes I get it. If they are charging too much and don't want to haggle then I go somewhere else. Some gun shops prices are so high that they are insulting.

I once asked for a best price on a new dual tone CZ97b .45 that was priced at $499. It was already an excellent price and I would have bought it anyway but to my surprise he came down $30. After I payed for it I asked how they could sell it for $469 when everybody else is asking about $600 for a polycoat one. He said that CZ was discontinuing that finish and clearing them out cheap. It doesn't hurt to ask and sometimes it helps.

Eghad

I usually take a look at prices online and do some research. Then it depends on whether the item is a popular seller . Here lately my fav gunshop has had prices that are equal to those on the internet or below. By doing you homework you can pretty much tell if you can ask for some slack... However it never hurts to ask as all they can do is say no. They might have gotten a good deal on it and want to turn it around quickly. The previous purchase I made was $100.00 below internet prices and most on the auction sites.... I still asked and got a no.