deal?

defjon

I have a chance for a local (two hour round trip) deal for a Colt official police and a sw model 10-5.

I've only seen ten pics or so. Rate conditions to be around 75%. Some blueing wear and scuffs .

Would you say getting both for $ 500 would be a sound deal? I know they don't make them like this. These would be shooters.

Stephanie B

If they both check out (the revolver checkout form), maybe.

Condition is almost everything.

If the timing isn't solid on the Police Positive, maybe not. Guys who can smith on Colts are hard to find.

What's the barrel lengths?

tallball

If they are mechanically sound (revolver check out thread) and the barrels look decent on the inside, I would do it. Yeah, they don't make 'em like that anymore and $250 apiece for two classic good-shooting revolvers is a good deal.

I paid something like $500 combined for these two OTD (separate transactions), and have been very pleased.

Mine are probably a bit older. This is the Colt Army Special from about 1922. The finish looks better in person than in the picture. Its sights and trigger are a little better than the S&W.

Colt20Army20Special_zpse4xlhn1d.jpg

Here is the "pre Model 10". It doesn't have much finish left, but it's still a good shooter. It's from about 1915.

IMAG06481_zpsdszm6nee.jpg

Last edited:

lamarw

I would prefer to spend $500.00 on a much nicer, 80 to 90%, example of either revolver.

I do not see $500.00 for these two as being a deal. Within the last year, I have paid less than $250.00 on better condition Model 10's.

Even in good mechanical condition, neither of the two pictured is more than a 60% revolver in my opinion. The Model 10 is perhaps 40%.

OOPS, I have messed up. I see now the pictures are not the revolvers you are looking at. They are the pictures of another Forum member. Please disregard my above opinions. :confused:

Last edited:

T. O'Heir

Colt Official Police revolvers, in good or better condition, aren't selling at $230ish on Gun Broker.
Smith M10's on Guns International, start at $450.
Dunno if I'd drive 2 hours for 'em. Mind you, Smith 'K' frames and Colt Police series revolvers don't fit my hand. I think I'd want a lot more info about the mechanical condition with gas prices the way they are.

lamarw

dgludwig, Yes, I made a mistake as I admitted above. I did not intend to make derogatory remarks about talball's revolvers. My apology to tallball if he/she feels offended.

My comments were based upon my personal evaluation to the grading of the appearance condition of the two revolvers in the pictures. Right or wrong, I do believe they are accurate evaluations. You and others may disagree, and I will respect your opinions. :(

CajunBass

That's a pretty decent price around here (central Virginia).

(insert standard disclaimer concerning condition here).

tallball

LoL. I am not offended. I won the S&W for a $143 bid. The finish is mostly gone, but it is a good shooter and a nice antique. I splurged and paid $306 for the Colt - it looks much nicer in person.

The Colts are more expensive in general. My goal was to pay $200-$250 for one, but after a few months it just wasn't happening. If I were more patient I might have eventually found one for less. I don't think my price on the S&W is easily beatable. I just buy shooters and am not too concerned about the finish.

damienph

$500 for the pair, even at 75% condition, is a decent deal where I live. Rural central KS. As far as driving an hour each way; heck, we do that just to eat out at a restaurant.

dgludwig

dgludwig, Yes, I made a mistake as I admitted above. I did not intend to make derogatory remarks about talball's revolvers. My apology to tallball if he/she feels offended.

I was just messing with you, lamarw. ;) I'm sure tallball knows I was just having a little fun at your expense. :)

smee78

Is the seller not willing to meet you half way in a public place? I would be careful meeting a stranger for a gun deal. As for the price, its not bad. The main question is do you want both guns and if so is $250 each a price your happy with?