Dead Air Suppressors

cannonfire

Does anybody have any experience with Dead Air Suppressors? Specifically the Sandman-S or Sandman-K (7.62)? They are setup here in GA and I've read some decent reviews online, but curious if anyone of TFL has any experience

Thanks

jeepman1320

They are good to go. Probably the best QD setup and mounts on the market. I have they 45 Ghost and the Sandman L along with a Silencerco Hybrid with a KeyMo mount (to uses Dead Air mounts) sitting in the safe currently. I also have the Sandman S and K currently in jail. You will not be disappointed with their stuff.

Theohazard

SilencerCo is one of the best names in silencers, and Dead Air is headed by one of the main guys from SilencerCo who left to start the new company. I consider Dead Air to be a top-tier silencer company.

I have a Dead Air Mask .22, and I think it’s the best heavy-duty .22 silencer on the market. I’ve worked at two high-volume NFA dealers and personally sold hundreds — if not thousands — of silencers over the years, so I was able to comparison shop in a hands-on manner.

I’ve sold a lot of Dead Air cans, but I’ve never shot any of their rifle silencers. I can tell you I like that their baffles are made of stellite and they don’t have any barrel-length restrictions. I also like the mounting system of their QD rifle silencers.

As far as customer service, I’ve never dealt with them directly but I hear they’re very good. That would make sense since Dead Air is basically SilencerCo Jr., and SilencerCo has amazing customer service.

Machineguntony

Back when I used FaceBook, I was part of the NFAGuns group, and the Dead Air guys, including the owner, chief marketer, CEO, etc, etc, were active in the group and seemed to really care about their reputation. If any problem popped up, they would immediately address it.

I was at an outdoor gun range a few months ago, and this guy next to me had a baffle strike which threw his silencer out about 25 yards. Coincidentally, one of the guys from the YouTube Military Arms Channel (or it looked like him, with the beard), went over and introduced himself, examined the damaged silencer, took pics of it for examination, and said he knew Mike Pappas of Dead Air Silencers and that he would make sure the Mike got him a new silencer.

Their customer service seeems over the top, which is a good thing.

Machineguntony

Btw, the company is actually called Dead Air Silencers. There’s no SuppresorCo or SuppressorShop.

The US Code refers to it as a silencer.

The inventor named it a silencer.

Patent US1482805A refers to it as a silencer.

It’s a silencer.

Theohazard

I agree with you, Tony. I hate how often gun people say, “It’s not a silencer, it’s a suppressor!” Wait, doesn’t the inventor of a product get to name his invention? Who cares if it doesn’t truly silence a gunshot, that’s what he named it. Do you complain that a parkway is actually for driving, a black box is actually orange, a hamburger isn’t made of ham, a butterfly isn’t made of butter, and so on?

Me, I’d rather use the historically-correct term than some recently made-up term. Besides, working at three different SOTs over the last 6 years and filling out hundreds (if not thousands) of Form 4s, I get used to the legal and industry term “silencer”.

On a side note: OP, I’m not criticizing your use of the word “suppressor” at all. Call it whatever you like. I’m simply making a general comment on the common misconception in the gun world that “silencer” is somehow an incorrect term.

Last edited: