DEA agent not charged...

mk86fcc

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/091500/met_4072070.html

Friday, September 15, 2000

Story last updated at 1:29 a.m. on Friday, September 15, 2000

Agent not charged in killing; DEA criticized

By Mark Reynolds and Jim Schoettler Times-Union staff writers

State Attorney Harry Shorstein said yesterday the fatal shooting of an unarmed drug dealer in a botched sting last month in Jacksonville was "negligent and unnecessary" but not flagrant enough to warrant criminal prosecution against the federal agent who shot the man.

In statements that later provoked a sharp rebuttal from the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, Shorstein also called the Aug. 14 sting "poorly planned and poorly executed."

But, Shorstein said, "under Florida law, the killing of Curt Ferryman was excusable homicide."

Shorstein said 30-year-old Christopher Sean Martin of the Drug Enforcement Administration accidentally shot Ferryman when the agent knocked on the window of a parked vehicle occupied by the 24-year-old Ferryman.

Speaking at a mid-afternoon news conference, Shorstein quoted a legal definition to explain how the agent was "negligent" but not negligent enough to be prosecuted on a charge of manslaughter. He noted that Martin was a
"relatively junior" member in a multi-agency operation with the oversight of supervisors.

Shorstein, who has never charged a law enforcement officer in a shooting, said
he has never been more critical of a fatal shooting involving law enforcement during his nine years as state attorney.

While they prompted only a limited response from the DEA, Shorstein's comments puzzled Jacksonville police.

"I did not expect criticism of the plan because there were no apparent flaws . . . that I saw," Jacksonville Sheriff Nat Glover said. "The criticism of the plan in my mind is unfounded."

But Shorstein said one reason for the shooting in the 3800 block of Imeson Road was poor planning. He referred to the plan as "complex" with "extremely comprehensive resources . . . for a relatively simple, non-violent" crime.

Shorstein said the written plan was for all three officers in a Chevrolet Tahoe to make the arrest after the marijuana, sold for $30,000 by Ferryman, was placed in the trunk of another car. The arrest was supposed to occur outside the car.

But Shorstein said Ferryman got inside that car and was counting the money when detectives gave the signal to make the arrest.

Martin was the only one who approached the car to arrest Ferryman. The driver of the Tahoe didn't leave the vehicle immediately, and the 6-foot-6 agent in the back seat had trouble getting out, Shorstein said.

He said the hammer on Martin's 9mm SigSauer semiautomatic pistol was "wrongly" cocked, which reduced the amount of force needed to fire the weapon.

Shorstein said Martin gave an "oral command" as he ran to the vehicle and tried to get Ferryman's attention by rapping on the window.

The prosecutor said Martin's weapon should not have been pointed toward people in the car and his finger should not have been on the trigger.

"Accidentally," Shorstein said, "Agent Martin's weapon fired, fatally wounding the suspect.

"Agent Martin's actions were wrong and contrary to his training," Shorstein said.

However, the state attorney said his own recounting of the incident does not jibe with the statement made by Martin during an interview that came about 48 hours after the shooting occurred.

Martin said in his statement that he fired his weapon intentionally in self-defense.

But on an audio tape recorded inside the vehicle, Martin was asked, "Why did you shoot him, man?"

"I didn't mean it," is the reply, an answer prosecutors attributed to Martin.

Shorstein attributed the discrepancy to Martin being under stress.

DEA spokesman Brent Eaton declined to answer questions about the case.

He said Martin will remain off the street until the DEA's own inquiry, an investigation that will consider policy and training issues, is complete.

"We are always saddened when anyone is killed or injured during a DEA operation," Eaton said, reading a printed press release. "This tragic incident is no exception."

Meanwhile, Glover said he found no problems with the plan after his review of the incident, and he defended his officers and the other police agents.

He said the amount of manpower, criticized by Shorstein as too much, was sufficient.

...can't even think of anything to say.
:mad: :confused:

------------------
"...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Luke 22:36
"An armed society is a polite society."
Robert Heinlein
"Power corrupts. Absolute power - is kinda cool!"
Fred Reed

buzz_knox

Hmm. Assuming that the attorney is truthfully recounting the facts, the LEO violates procedure by cocking his weapon and then lies in a report given after the shooting, claiming it was self-defense, when his immediate statements indicate that it was an accident. Lying on a report is a felony.
And excusable homicide is not generally something prosecutors trot out. That's a defense to manslaughter, not a reason for refusing to prosecute.

This attorney is grandstanding for the populace, while covering his butt with LEOs. If the facts are as alleged, the LEO should be charged and the attorney sanctioned for misconduct.

scud

This case really pisses me off because it's marijuana, to me a person selling pot is no different then a attendant at the circle K selling tobacco, except it isn't addictive like tobacco. Well, at least they got that demon weed off the street, why if it was compress into a brick and shot out of a pneumatic cannon at 300fps it could have killed somebody. Hopefully he'll suddenly feel guilty and hang himself but I doubt it. These .gov scum employee's know they can just get away with anything these days. If I worked for the .gov I'd quit now, despite whether a person is doing a good job or not, their coworkers are not, and it's not reasonable to be lumped in there with all of that trash if you're a good guy.

KaMaKaZe

angryfire.gif

------------------
God, Guns and Guts made this country a great country!

oberkommando sez:
"We lost the first and third and now they are after the Second!(no pun intended)"

Bruegger

scud -- this is a bit OT, but ever see the movie "Reefer Madness?" It's absolutely hilarious! This movie was made back in the 30s I think as a serious documentary about the extreme danger to society of marijuana. It's so comically overblown that it's funnier than 99% of the comedies cranked out by Hollywood, but it seems to be the primary factual reference for our "Justice" Department's propoganda ministry.

USP45usp

Have you noticed how many of these "accidents" are occurring with the feds? Heck, pretty soon they will have the "law" on their side to just walk up and shoot anyone they "think" is going to commit a crime or is commenting a crime (even as small as a traffic violation). Excusable Homicide? What the heck is that? Sorry I killed you sir/ma'am but I have an excuse. Yeah, sure, guns should only be in the hands of the military and the police (feds). When a gunowner has a AD then the anti's say, "SEE, GUNS ARE BAD AND SHOULD BE OUTLAWED" but when the feds do it... it's an excusable homicide.

USP45usp

[This message has been edited by USP45usp (edited September 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by USP45usp (edited September 15, 2000).]

scud

Bruegger:

Yep, I actually used to have it on tape,how about when that guy & that chick were wiggin playing the piano ? That was one funny movie. They looked like a bunch of meth heads. LOL :D

mrat

I am a local LEO and I know if this was one of us that did this screwup it would have turned out differently for the LEO. As a matter of fact the feds would stick there nose in due to civil rights violations. The feds are getting more and more involved in local law enforcement agencies and this is NOT a good thing.

damiano

This greatly disturbs me. I've carried a SigSauer P226 in 9mm for 10 years all over the world in CCW form and open carry in a tactical holster (depending on the job at the time.) I still carry it on a daily basis on my right hip with my PPK on my ankle. There is *NO* way to improperly cock the hammer of a Sig. It's either cocked or down. It's not a SA that has the "half-cock" notch. He had the hammer back and finger on the trigger. Even if you have the hammer back, there is a significant amount of takeup before tension. What an idiot. He probably rapped the window glass with the gun and squeezed too much. Yet, if that were one of us, it's be manslaughter carrying a 3-8 sentence for us. Since it's a cop, it's "excusable homicide." Don't get me wrong, I'm behind LEO 100%. Half my family members are LEO and I carried a badge for a short time myself before working for Uncle Sam, but there are limits to believability.

When are city and county entities going to learn to rebuild the firearms training that has been lost to "sensitivity training." No matter how nice you are on the street, you still need to know enough to press the decocker on your Sig before rapping on a window with it.

damiano

Flaim

I am with Damiano. I carry a 226 in .40 all the time. It is cocked or not. that is all there is to it. Although in this case it was impropper to have it cocked in that situuation. So it could have been a play on words by the Journalist.