De-priming issues on .40S&W ...a Tip ..

BigJimP

I was running 1,000 rds of .40S&W late last week ....and in 1 in 4 cases, I started having a problem in station 1 ( de-priming some cases ). The de-capping pin was punching the primer out / but the pin was sticking into the primer cup - and then drawing it back into the case.

As the case went to station 2 - the spent primer was in the case / and I couldn't seat a new primer.

After 200 rds, I was way past frustrated ....

I called tech support / and found its apparently a common problem, with CCI primers for some reason. The solution / take the de-capping pin out of the die --- and take it to a grinder and sharpen it a little. Not so much that you would poke a hole in the primer / but enough that it doesn't have anything to hang onto.

I'm told they think - the higher pressure in the .40S&W rds / causes the primers to stick a little after detonation. I have no idea if that's true or not. I also pick up a lot of "range brass" - so I don't really know if its cheap ammo brass that was the issue or one of my own reloads / but I do use CCI pistol primers in my reloads.

I ran about 800 rds thru the press after I sharpened the pin / and they ran 100% with no issues. Just passing the tip on. A Note: the decapping pins in Dillon handgun caliber Dies - are all the same dimension / large pistol, small pistol ...makes no difference. I was using a Dillon 650 press / so maybe its only a problem on Dillon dies / maybe not ?? I have never had a problem in 9mm, .357 mag or even .44 mag .....( and I don't reload 10mm ...but it might be a problem there too ) ...but I shoot and reload several thousand rounds a year of 9mm, .45 acp and .357 mag especially.

Just trying to save someone else some aggravation ....Take care.

bullspotter

Thanks for the tip!! I have the same problem with decapping my 40 and 9 brass with cci primers, Using rcbs dies. Ill have to get the grinder out and give this a try!!

BigJimP

the pins are not hardened ...so even a stationary belt sander will work as well. I'd recommend pulling the whole die / or the whole stem inside the die / depending how your dies come apart ( so you have something to hold onto when you go to sharpen it ).

Just the pin alone is hard to hang onto at a grinder or sander...( one got away from me ...).

Dodge DeBoulet

I had the same problem with Hornady New Dimension dies in a LNL AP. I didn't do anything to sharpen the pin, though . . . I simply tightened it on its spindle. The issue really had to do with the "free floating" pin that allowed the spent primers to re-seat. Once it was tightened, the problem disappeared.