De-priming advise

Wildshot

I have a dozen 223 cartridge cases, with live primers in them. I need advise on the safest way to de-prime them. I was thinking of just taking them out to the back yard and running them through my rifle. I don't know how much noise that is going to make. I don't want the neighbors calling the Sheriff and have to explain it all to them. Nearest neighbor is about 100 yards away. :confused:

Last edited:

Marco Califo

Yes, you can deprime live primers and even re-use them. But, BE CAREFUL!
Clear your surroundings of flammables, wear eye and ear protection, and perhaps wrap a towel around while you do it. I skipped the towel after the first couple were no problem.
I have done this with the Lee decapping die.

Wildshot

(Why would you want to deprime them? Why not just load them and have some ammo to shoot??

DASHZNT )

These 12 where among 50 shells that were given to me. Age and condition are unknown. The other 38 had no primers.

DASHZNT

Ok.. that makes sense. I would toss em as well if i didnt know what was in them. I thought you had a boat load of primed brass.

DASHZNT

hodaka

Marco is correct. It is easy to do, just go slowly. I have deprimed hundreds of live primers without incident. Never wore ear protection.

if you are worried about setting them off accidentally ( & not planning on reusing them ) spray the inside of the case with WD-40, Kroil, or other penitrating oil, & let them soak for a a day & you should be fine...

or, you could single load them in a gun, & try firing them 1st, then decap as normal...