De barrel Ruger single- 6 ?

Drm50

I have old flat gate Ruger s-6' 5 1/2" barrel. Damaged on the end of barrel. I have gun stripped, just frame and barrel. I want to remove barrel. Have been soaking with Pb blaster & kroil, have cut oak block to fill frame window. Have been hesitant to use to much leverage, afraid I'll warp frame. Anybody have any
experience with this.

Snyper

Why wouldn't you just send it back to Ruger?
Odds are good they would repair it at no charge

Unless you just want to experiment with doing that sort of thing, I see no reason to ever work on a Ruger yourself

hoghunting

have cut oak block to fill frame window. Have been hesitant to use to much leverage,

So you're planning on using this oak block to turn the frame for unscrewing the barrel??? Big mistake!!! With the amount of money spent on a correct frame wrench so you don't twist the frame, you can either send it back to Ruger or take it to a gunsmith and have the barrel replaced correctly.

Dfariswheel

The old wood block through the frame gag will do one or both of two things:
1. It'll bend the frame. No they can't be straightened once bent.

2. The frame will crack through the barrel thread area. Look at that are of a frame and note how thin the metal is.

Using the wood block puts tremendous stress on the frame and they either bend or crack or both.
To remove a revolver or rifle barrel requires a special frame wrench that surrounds the frame and supports it.
They aren't cheap, and often the special polymer inserts simply aren't made to fit your specific gun. In that case you have to make inserts.

Here's what a revolver frame wrench looks like:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s/contour-fitted-revolver-frame-prod8847.aspx

If you're smart you'll either buy the correct tools and learn how to use them or send the gun in to the factory for the experts with all the correct tools and have them do it.
Stick the wood block in the frame and turn....kiss the gun goodbye.

Hawg

Ruger frames are cast. It will break before it bends. I'd find a gunsmith or send it back to Ruger.

Drm50

De barrel Ruger S-6

Thanks for info. End of barrel was hit with mower blade, it's a long story. The gun has a lot of sentimental value. I don't want to send to Ruger, I want barrel
cut, at 4 3/8" it will clear front site slot, front site reset, recrowned. My smith
has retired, I'm looking for a smith to do this. Any recommendations. I know
a new barrel would be cheaper, and can't find flat gate barrel.

gunnut69

The receiver inserts can be made using AcraGlass reinforced with powdered aluminum. The square frame holds the block of the frame inserts is turned while the barrel is held between blocks of wood. I use sycamore and powdered resin. A metal holding fixture keeps the blocks from shredding in the vise.