DD M4 V11

cmdc

Have opportunity to get one but would like input. I know they are top-notch guns but don't know this model compared to others.

Thanks

Targa

My brother has one. Way to expensive for my blood but I can say that I have never fired a nicer finished, higher quality AR, they really are impressive. I went with an Aeroprecision M4E1 upper with an enhanced lower and it measures up nicely on paper and in hand with the Daniels Defense for a much lower cost. With that said, AR's are quickly beginning to dry up and if you have the opportunity to pick up the DD it is probably a good idea.

Last edited:

Gunslick

Get it and never look back, run it hard and WET with nothing but the best EWL Slip 2000 and it will run over 50,000 rounds easily on one barrel probably 2 bolts. I think DD and BCM are pretty equal in quality and they both do midlengths but what I love about Daniel Defense is that they figured out the need and importance of pinning low pro gas blocks, I don't know why BCM doesn't do it yet. Ya the set screws are tight but I just can't depend on a set screw to save my life someday because if you loose your gas block you are now out of the fight or single shotin' it with gas blowing in front of your face..Get it.

cmdc

Appreciate the feedback. I was just informed that the gun is the LW version, with the lightweight barrel. I'm getting it.

Ibmikey

What Gunslick said......only i use Mobil 1 and watch it smoke when the DD gets hot....all part of the fun. Lightweight in an AR is good, partucliarly for us at home commando's who hope to reduce the tin can and steel plate threat.

Quentin2

I bought a LW midlength DD upper in 2010 and have been pleased with it. It's a little better than a similar BCM upper I got a couple years later. (Better finish and slightly more accurate.) I doubt Daniel Defense quality has dropped since then, we would have heard of it.

Gunslick

I would not go with the lightweight. It gets very very hot very fast and takes forever to cool down. But if you aren't going to drive the rifle into the ground and run the heck out of it it wont be an issue and will be a great rifle. You see some people buy a Ferrari just to drive around and some people buy a Ferrari to race it and redline it and drive the piss out of it the way it was meant to be driven. That's how I look at it kind of in the ar world. You build or buy your rifle to shoot it every now and then and have fun and it is great fun, or you use it to its full extent and train with it, compete with it, run it so hot you may just blow a gas tube or a gas ring, (gas ring last weekend for me) and you still have fun. It just costs more money if you take it to the extreme car or rifle.

Mrgunsngear

Have opportunity to get one but would like input. I know they are top-notch guns but don't know this model compared to others.

Thanks

In terms of specs, it compares very well to any rifle under $2k.

Here's my review of the DDM4V11LW if you're interested.

Lightweight in an AR is good, partucliarly for us at home commando's who hope to reduce the tin can and steel plate threat.

I agree 100%. Very few people can shoot well enough to notice the effects of "stringing" due to heat. I shot 30 rounds as fast as I could bang an 8'' plate at 100 yards and tested the accuracy before and after the test; very little difference.

Here's the video of the test for those interested.

odugrad

What ranges are you planning on using the rifle?

If it's no more than 100 yards I would recommend an Aimpoint micro. If that's a little spendy I would get an Aimpoint Pro.

Targa

What is it you are looking to do with it? Close, medium, long range shooting? All of it..:D. Visit Mrgunsngears's YouTube page and check out some of his reviews on Red Dot's, fixed and adjustable power scopes. A lot of good info there. As for brand? For me, now again this is my opinion, there is absolutely no chance I am spending the premium required to get into Aimpoints, Acog's, Eotechs etc etc...when quality optics by Vortex, Primary Arms, Holosun, Leopuld etc...are available at a 1/3 of the cost. I have experience with Aimpoint and Acog's due to the military and although very nice, are worth no where near what's asked of them with the competition that is out there.

Last edited:

cmdc

I will want to do a little of everything, including longer ranges out to say 300yds, but mostly will be 100yds in.

Targa

Red dot is really fun for close up point and shoot with in a 100 yards, for me I would say with in 50 and at 25 yards better yet. You bring up the rifle, as soon as you see your dot on target....bam...your there, very fast. Now if most of your shooting will be at 100 + yards you might consider something with magnification. I have a fixed 3x power Vortex Strikefire on my AR and its great but I find myself contemplating getting rid of it and getting a adjustable 1-4x maybe 1-6x tactical scope.

cmdc

I wanted to update on my purchase. I got the rifle for $1450, which I thought was a pretty good deal. They have a Holosun red dot there as well but I was somewhat ambivalent because I'm not familiar with that product.

MarkCO

Holosuns are GTG. If you like the features, get it.

I prefer a good 1-4 on a utility AR, the Burris MTAC being my favorite.

Oh, you made a good choice on the DD. I only have one factory built AR, a DD5V1 and it is excellent. If I ever happened to want to buy a complete AR again, it would likely be a DD.