DC residents can start applying for gun permits

Martyn4802

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080717/ap_on_re_us/washington_gun_ban;_ylt=AslWx_kGC7V8qd8tWq4Nd.ys0NUE

DC residents can start applying for gun permits

1 hour, 12 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Police in the District of Columbia are set to begin registering residents for handguns Thursday now that the district's 32-year-old ban has been lifted.

Besides obtaining paperwork to buy new handguns, residents also can register firearms they've had illegally under a 180-day amnesty period.

It comes after the District of Columbia Council approved new firearms legislation Tuesday and as officials try to comply with last month's U.S. Supreme Court ruling that struck down the city's ban on handguns.

Though residents will be allowed to begin applying for handgun permits, city officials have said the entire process could take weeks or months.

TimRB

Amnesty period? You mean for the people who were forced to be criminals because they kept guns for self defense in their homes? Here's the part I really like though: "...as officials try to comply with last month's U.S. Supreme Court ruling..." "TRY TO COMPLY"? Those guys are doing everything they can think of to keep from having to comply with the ruling!

Tim

brickeyee

I hope would be gun owners swamp the city today with registrations.

As of about 9:00 Am only about six people had showed up, including Heller.
He was turned away since he did not have his gun with him.

Doublestack

Gun registration is still "people control" not gun control. There should be a law against that as well. Many people are cheering this "victory" in the Supreme Court ruling. Registration should be labeled an infringement and outlawed. The government has absolutely no business knowing what a law abiding person chooses to have in his possession. It is a load of BS to think that you have freedom when you are "ALLOWED" to have a firearm only if the governing body approves and keeps a list of what you own. Maybe this will be the next case before the Supremes.

History proves that registration is the first phase of confiscation. I am glad that I live in a State where I don't have to live day to day wondering when the other shoe is going to drop. I truly feel for these gunowners, and I despise these self-important dictators that run places like DC.

DS

ssilicon

Why would anyone need a "permit" for what they do not require permission for? The SCOTUS said the ban was illegal. A permit system is essentially a ban with exceptions.

Heller did not challenge registration.

Some of the language I read on here used the term "permit". Permit has a different meaning than registration. Permit means "may I possess a gun?" and registration means "these are the guns I possess."

Last edited:

brickeyee

Why would anyone need a "permit" for what they do not require permission for? The SCOTUS said the ban was illegal. A permit system is essentially a ban with exceptions.

Heller did not challenge registration.