Date codes on powder Containers

BillyBoy 57

I have some never opened cans of IMR powder. I see numbers on the bottom on them , these are the older metal flat sided cans. With the current supply and all I would like to use the older ones first . Do any of you fellows know how to decipher these numbers ?? I am assuming the numbers say date of manufacture or lot numbers , or both. :) Thanks .

Longshot4

I had some of those and some cardboard with tin plugs. I took them out and put them in with my fire starter. I think it was 70s cardboard 80s tin. I have no need for questionable powders except to dump them out to start a fire.

USSR

Doesn't matter, BillyBoy 57. Good powder is good powder. I am currently using 50 year old Red Dot for my trap loads.

Don

Powder starts deteriorating the day it is made, but the stabilizers added to it keep that from happening at a significantly fast rate. Also, the colder it is, the longer it takes to deteriorate. So what really matters is whether or not any stabilizer is still left, and that depends on its storage history. If it passes the smell test and you don't see any red dust left behind when you pour some onto a white sheet of paper and funnel it back into the can, you are pretty sure to be good to go…for now. I just wouldn't load cartridges with it that I didn't intend to shoot in the next few months. That's because you can't tell if it is going bad in the cartridge case after it has been sealed in. The good news is that the bulk supply is likely to go bad sooner than the powder divided into individual cartridges. This is due to the random nature of how it starts and snowballs from there. The odds are just larger of it starting somewhere in a bigger quantity.