darned 380

ADIDAS69

using 800X to reload 380 ACP, my Lee "Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure" is having trouble feeding the powder precisely or accurately. thinking of attaching some kind of vibrating device to aid proper powder flow.

Any thoughts on ideas how to make it a little more reliable ?

Gdawgs

Yep, 800X and 700X are probably the worst metering powders ever produced. Especially at low charge weights.

231, Titegroup, or Power Pistol would be good choices.

ADIDAS69

don't know bout you guys but Washington State is still in a massive powder drought. If i had other powder options i'd use them; so vibrator it is.

ADIDAS69

did some research and its been suggested that a dusting of powdered graphite works like a charm.

Any thoughts?

Idaho Spud

Not only does 800X meter badly it's one of the worst choices to load 380 ACP, wa-a-ay too slow. You prolly can't get enough in the case to get a seated bullet to exit the muzzle. Well, that might be a stretch, but there're just better choices.

ADIDAS69

we'll see i did get 50 test rounds loaded up, 100 grn plated round nose 3.5 grns 800X. the recipe comes from the lit. included with the Lee resizing dies and from Hodgdon's reloading center.

I'll post a range report. tomorrow RE the recipes usefulness.

Idaho Spud

I'll be interested in that report. What would be really interesting is being able to chrono that load. You may only need a wristwatch....just kidding!

What are you shooting it in? I see Hogdon got 840 fps with 4.0 grs. Ya probably don't have to worry about an overload, anyway. Let us know.

Sevens

Any thoughts?
I think that IMR-800X may indeed be the single WORST metering powder ever produced and marketed for handloaders. And no matter the depths of the powder drought (that we are all experiencing), I think this is a poor idea and I wouldn't do it.

However, since it seems to be that you are going to do it anyway, I would suggest that you really take your time with all the shots fired, and ensure that every "bang" you hear also puts a hole or some manner of evidence on the target. Because if the vibrating technique for getting the equivalent of crushed oreos through a powder measure doesn't work as well as you hope, one obvious net result could be a bullet stuck in your bore.

Which, in and of itself doesn't have to be catastrophic.

But shooting the NEXT one will be.

mnoirot64

800X is the so hard to meter, I give up, and measure every charge.

I use a lot of 800-X in 45 ACP and 40 S & W. I gave up trying to use a case activated powder drop because of the issues you are having. I switched to the Hornady Auto Charge because it will measure everything from No 2 to 800-X to rice crispies and cornflakes. 800-X is a good powder for auto pistols once you have a means to accurately measure it. It is adequately fast and burns relatively clean.

mnoirot64

Not only does 800X meter badly it's one of the worst choices to load 380 ACP, wa-a-ay too slow. You prolly can't get enough in the case to get a seated bullet to exit the muzzle. Well, that might be a stretch, but there're just better choices.

Agreed. My go to for 380 is Bullseye.

Idaho Spud

Unique is about as slow as I use in 380. It works OK, but I prefer BE and Titegroup. 3.7 gr. Unique works in an LCP with 104 gr. Lee cast for plinking.

I know powder is scarce and see many trying to "make" powders work in apps for which they weren't necessarily intended.

Last nite I found a load for 380 ACP in Speer #11, for a 95 gr. plated bullet: 5.9 gr. 800X, MAX load. Can you get that much in under a seated bullet? Just because loads are in a "book" doesn't always make them viable. Expect a bit of unburned powder, too.

Last edited:

ADIDAS69

Hit the range this morning. 50 rounds
100 grn plated round nose
3.5 grn 800X
OAL .945

No squibs
Bullet drop at 50 ft was 1/2 inch
Not enough energy to operate the slide (so I got some slide racking practice)

Metering fix: tiny vibrator works like a charm. Auto disk .53 is throwing consistently 97% accurate +/- .1 grn. Did not use graphite.

Made up 50 more
100 grn plated round nose
4.4 grn 800X
OAL .975

Should hopefully make it back to the range this evening.

Idaho Spud

Good report. My only experience with 800X was years ago when a friend gave me about a half pound. Used it for 357 and 44 mag loads. It was free. Never bought any. Good for magnum shotshell loads but I only loaded target stuff.

Keep us posted.

Fullthrottle

For reloading 380acp, I have come to the conclusion that I use a dipper to get close to the needed charge and hand trickle to the desired charge. I have never been happy with the case capacity and varied charge weights that throwers yield!

The .380acp does not have a big case capacity and the min and max charges for most powders are too small for me to just throw a charge and be ok with it!

ADIDAS69

Second report.

Larger grain loads yielded proper operation and flat trajectory out to 50 ft. with a miniature vibrator taped to the side of the pro auto disk measure I was able to create 50 perfectly (accurate and precise) charged cartridges. They had a little more energy than was strictly needed at 4.4 grn of powder so i am going to dial it back to 3.9-4.0 grn and call it good.

There is definitely zero extra space in the shell but everything seats and functions perfectly through my Glock 42. Which is good cause i bought three pounds of this PITA powder. Mostly i am pleased that i didn't have to use graphite and that i defeated the inanimate objects.

Idaho Spud

With 800X in 380 ACP just about any load that allows the gun to function is likely gonna be compressed.

Curious as to how you alighted on 4.4 grs.? 4.0 is MAX in Hodgdon's data.

Another idea, too. If you're trying to find a load that works, start low and work up to your projected maximum a tenth grain or 2 at a time, loading 5 or 10 of each (and shooting them) til you reach your goal. We used to call that a "pressure series". Loading 50 each time's gonna run ya out of components quickly, not to mention having to dismantle some that might be prove unusable. Taking 50 apart with an impact gizmo ain't fun! I know.

Last edited:

ADIDAS69

Lee chart that came with the dies said 4.5 was "never exceed". That did turn out to be way too much energy anyway so i am dialing it back to 3.9.

Idaho Spud

There are a lot of differences in data, but working up to max from below, a little at a time, is the preferable (safe) way to get to max. You may have found 4.0 to be max that way and saved components. In other words, one guy's "never exceed" may be too hot, in your specific application.

CosmicCoder

ADIDAS69:
What version of the Lee .380 ACP dies set instruction insert are you reading? The load chart in the instruction insert that came with my Lee .380 ACP dies set [Copyright 08-04-2011] states that the "NEVER EXCEED" load for IMR 800X with 100gr jacketed bullets is 4.0gr.​

Last edited: