Dark Ops Counter Sniper Scopes

tachunter

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with these scopes. I'm not looking for a tasco job, but I don't want to spend 1k on a scope either. I know this scope kind of goes in the "tacticool" category, but that's not what I'm looking for either. I want numbered turrets for easy adjustments, mil-dot, and at least 20x. I'm looking for a decent scope to get me out to around 800yds. I'm slowly putting together a custom build and spending even more time for a decent scope. I noticed a major difference in pricing on the two sights I listed. I'm sure the scope is on the border line of cheap and decent. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/dark-ops-riflescopes-countersniper-optics-5x25-42mm-doh334.html

http://www.countersniperoptics.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/product.html&setup=1&ida=62&idp=0&his=0&cart_id=7382507.9332

Jimro

Two guys I know who went to last years SHOT Show who I trust about optics were not impressed. For that amount of money look at the Bushnell Elite 6500 6-24x50 scope.

Jimro

CraigC

I looked really hard at these last year. What I came up with was the disturbing feeling that they were a hyped-up cheap scope. The stuff about government contracts is bogus and their origin highly questionable. IMHO, if they were as good as they advertise, they wouldn't be so shrouded in secrecy.

Jimro

Tachunter,

Sorry, considered the Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 for 579 delivered through LibertyOptics.com? Also has the 6-24x40 for 529 delivered (side adjust 30mm tube) and a target model (adjustable objective) for even less.

Head over to www.libertyoptics.com and see if you don't find something you like.

Jimro

3085R

What scares me about these scopes is that you can buy them from the factory for $1800 and from optics planet for $450:confused:

shooter_john

I can probably think of a lot better ways to spend $450 (Nikon, Bushnell Elite's, low end Leupold's etc.) but if you really like the features on the 'Dark Ops uber tactical stuff, you should look at the Osprey Optics scopes they have at Sportsman's Guide. They look EERILY similar at about half the cost. I just put a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 SFMD on an AR I built for my Dad for Christmas for $295 shipped from Midway. I take that $300 Nikon over the 'counter sniper' anyday. Just my opinion.

And another thought... I got to handle some of the Konus M30 Tactical scopes last week. The shop I was at had three or four different models ranging from $329- $459. They seemed very well build, had nice easy to use knobs, and according to the guy there he's had very good luck with them, as well as other that have purchased them. Might be another route to look at.

tachunter

Thanks all. I'm really wanting a 20+ magnification with solid glass. I'm one of those guys that can never be accurate enough. That higher magnification really helps out at 500+ with putting the bullet exactly where you want it to go. I have above average vision and have been using a loopy 3x9 out to 500. I hit 12" targets at 500, but I can't consistently be precise with the shots. That extra magnification really helps to be consistently precise with shots at longer ranges.

3085R

I have the Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 SFMD on my 308 and can read the larger letters on whiskey bottles @ 500-600 yds. $350 @ Midway, sometimes on sale for $300. The only scope I'd take in its place would be well over $1K.

bval

Dark ops optics

I just recently picked up a counter sniper scope just to see what the deal was. I put it on a 308 yesterday and zeroed it at 200 yds . It was really big and alittle bulky but it did shoot well I busted 7 eggs with 7 shots . I haven't got a chance to shoot it a my range were I have tgts at 5,6 and 700 yds but will soon . I have read alot about what people thought about it but most of the people doing the talking haven't had any personal experience with it . I am going to try and shoot paintballs with it at 200yds in the next few days I will post my results in the next week or so

slowr1der

What about a 20x SWFA Super Sniper scope from SWFA.com? IMO it's probably one of the best bests for the money if you are on a budget. They also have several other powers too.

radius1x1

Counter sniper junk

I bought one of those scopes and sent it back for warranty 5 (FIVE) times. Each return took 2-3 months. They don't return emails nor return phone calls. Half the time the mail box is full and can't leave a message. This is a one man operation working out of a garage and the scopes are bulk ordered from China. If you do a live street view search the address is bogus. There is NO factory or even a warehouse. Bars ka sells a scope with the identical body. Avoid at all cost.......