DAO w/Manual Safety

insane_irish

Looking for recommendations DAO with a manual safety. This will be for primarily carry purposes, so looking for compact/subcompact size. This will be my first handgun, so looking for something accurate, reliable, & easy to maintain. Oh, planning on 9mm.

I'm not interested in the arguement/discussion of the need for a manual safety on a DAO. I've read many of them already. Simple fact is that at the very least I want to be able to have a safety on when the pistol isn't in my holster/on my belt. I can always leave the safety off while carring if I feel so inclined.

Thanks.

HardcoreHehaw

Well with a Variant 1 or 2 HK USP Compact you'd be able to carry a DA/SA with safety.
That gun has a decocking lever so you could have one in the chamber, safety on and still have the gun in DA mode. Just decock the hammer, then after you fire first round the subsequent ones will be in SA with a lighter tirgger pull.

OBIWAN

Did you guys read his post:confused:

"I'm not interested in the arguement/discussion of the need for a manual safety on a DAO. I've read many of them already. Simple fact is that at the very least I want to be able to have a safety on when the pistol isn't in my holster/on my belt. I can always leave the safety off while carring if I feel so inclined."

Officer's Match

Sure, but that's human nature. Its like saying, "don't think of pink elephants". That's exactly what then happens. But OBIWAN's right. And I still say Gen 1 or 2 Millenium is what he's described, for better or worse.

NJ-Dirtrdr

primarily because I don't like to have a consistent trigger pull.
I assume you meant "because I LIKE to have..."

In that case, get a USP compact. Some argue their "chunkiness" but I carry a 45c (slightly bigger than the 9/40 frames) and don't find it to be too objectionable at 5'8, 155lbs. Plus, if you ever get comfortable carrying without a safety and want a lighter, consistant trigger pull, you can convert to the LEM trigger, or have HK do it. That is the standard trigger on their P2000 series, and it seems to be rather highly regarded. Check out www.hkpro.com for more info on HK's

HardcoreHehaw

primarily because I don't like to have a consistent trigger pull.
Ok makes sense.
Did you guys read his post
I thought what he meant is that he didn't want to argue about a safety. Assuming he didn't want a glock and thought people would say "get a glock, you don't need a safety."

I do not like my DAO walther, I thought I would. I will never buy a DAO again.
Having a DA/SA is IMO much nicer to shoot.
Many compact guns are available in DAO, few have safetys.
And even fewer guns are DA/SA with a manual safety and decocker.
Allowing it to be carried with one in the chamber, safety on, but decocked. So first shot is extremely safe, you have long trigger pull plus a safety, then the rest of the shots are light trigger pull. In my eyes that is the more logical choice.
I wanted to make sure he was informed and knows that if he gets a DAO, every trigger pull is gonna be heavy, which makes it harder to shoot more accurately.

I'm not debating him, I'm not giving him a hard time just want to make sure he knows.

insane_irish

I assume you meant "because I LIKE to have..."

oops, yes, I started to type it one way and then ran out of time and finished it quickly another.

I don't want a DA/SA because I don't want the inconsistent trigger pull. Don't want any potential confusion of how long of a stroke I am expecting when I pull the trigger.

I'm not saying I will carry the gun with the safety on, that is something I will feel out as I get used to the gun. But I do want the option of putting the safety on when I remove the gun from my holster for the day.

Charles S

The Beretta 92 FS variant also meets your needs. If you know a good Gun Smith almost all of the third generation S&Ws can be easily converted to DAO and you may retain the safety.

Good luck with your search.

Silvanus

I think the LEM (H&K) or DAK (Sig) triggers might be worth considering if you want a consistent trigger pull. It has a lighter trigger pull than a traditional DAO and a shorter trigger reset. It's more comfortable to shoot and it allows for faster follow-up shots.

insane_irish

Get a Glock and get a manual safety

Didn't know there was such a thing. Anybody tried it?

It has a lighter trigger pull than a traditional DAO and a shorter trigger reset. It's more comfortable to shoot and it allows for faster follow-up shots.

Sounds intriguing. I will have to try to check them out.

Laserlips

Hey, leave the guy alone..

He want DAO, he want's a manual safety...

Makes no sense, none of our bid'ness.. :eek:

I'm sure he'll be as happy with his DAO/External Safety as I am with my P99c/AS with DA/SA & decocker.. :D

But I wouldn't bet on it..... ;)

J. Pomeroy

(P.S. Just stirrin' the pot)