DAO users, please speak up

Dogger

Curious to hear from those who prefer DAO semiautos as their principal CCW weapon.

Other than the obvious choice of a Kahr, has anyone modified their Sigs for DAO? How about your Ruger P95?

If I ever get my hands on another Sig P225 I am going to install some night sights on it, convert it to DAO, buy a good holster, and keep it forever!

J. Parker

I only DAO pistol I ever had was a Beretta Centurion in DAO. It was a sweet pistol but I guess it wasn't my cup of tea. My buddy shot a mag full as fast as he could and said "boy, did my finger get tired"! Ditto, on your P-225 comment. Never should have got rid of mine either. I like the concept of DAO pistols but I just couldn't get used to it. Best, J. Parker

Onslaught

Since I bought and shot my Kahr P9, I have been fully converted. I used to think that DAO on an auto was for people who didn't know their guns, (sorta like I USED to think about revolvers)...

I found that I shoot much better with a Kahr or Glock than with my USP45, which is a more accurate pistol on it's own.

Well, that's 2 naive myths down... next thing you know, I'll be buying a 1911 :D

WYO

My carry gun is a Beretta 96D DAO. The double action trigger is smoother than on the DA/SA version of the same gun. (One recent post by another noted that the use of a D model hammer spring is a factory recognized modification to enhance the DA pull of the DA/SA version of the same gun.) The absence of a decocker/safety makes it simple to use. The time from shot to shot is slower than an SA or safe action gun like the Glock, but I find the entire cycle to be smoother although the pull is longer and heavier. I read a recent article about the Border Patrol picking a variant of the 96D as their duty gun. Their pattern of encounter involves substantially longer ranges than usual police encounters, and they chose DAO. One day on a lark, I started practicing at 50-60 yard ranges, and I could understand what they were talking about, because it was possible for me to keep the sights aligned through the entire stroke, unlike my personal experience SA or safe action guns in the 5.5-8 lb. range.

It's not for everybody. It may not fit you, and it takes more practice, like if you were going to use a DA revolver instead of a short stroke semi-auto. My hand and fingers are such that my trigger finger makes perfect contact with the DAO trigger, and I get to have that for every shot. YMMV

May be a bit big, though, but that's another subject.

jaysouth

Many years ago I worked for an agency that was ahead of their time in training DA shooting only with their issue colt and smith revolvers. I have so many years experience with this mode that I thought transition to a DAO pistol would be easy. I got a Beretta 92D with 12 army issue hi-caps for a steal. I enjoy the DAO more than a traditional DA/SA pistol but I still shoot my revolvers DA more accurately. I prefer 1911's and BHP's for autos. Glocks would be ok if that was the only gun I had or was allowed to carry.

In response to earlier posts, I shot a couple of magazines through a Sig 220 that belonged to a range friend. It was OK. I still have my Sig 225. On the first DA shot, I am usually dead on, but subsequent SA shots go 3-4 inches left and low. I don't blame the gun, just decades of bad habits and prejudices.

If I were still walking a beat, I would probably prefer a DAO auto to the DA/SA mode, however I would be happier with a well tuned Model 13 or 65 smith slicked up a bit.

good shooting

Jay